Wadkin 12 AGS Extension Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signmaker

Reaction score
Would anyone please be able to suggest what the likelihood is of obtaining a cast-iron extension table for a Wadkin 12 AGS sawbench?

I'm referring to the bolt-on section that was supplied as standard with the machine when they were new.

The size of the extension table for the 12 AGS is 12" x 34" - 305mm x 865mm

You could try Daltons Machinery however the cheapest option would be to keep an eye on ebay, although you may have to wait a while!

As Andy RV says keep an eye on Ebay. Sometimes machines are split and usable parts listed. On the other hand there are machines listed cheaply now and again for 'spares or repair'. However, there are fewer 12 inch models listed soyou may have to wait.

You could always make your own extension table out of timber. On my BRT 10 (an AGS10 with sliding table) the sliding table takes up too much space in the workshop so I have removed it and built a timber extension.

Misterfish

misterfish":1c8vlrog said:
As Andy RV says keep an eye on Ebay. Sometimes machines are split and usable parts listed. On the other hand there are machines listed cheaply now and again for 'spares or repair'. However, there are fewer 12 inch models listed soyou may have to wait.

You could always make your own extension table out of timber. On my BRT 10 (an AGS10 with sliding table) the sliding table takes up too much space in the workshop so I have removed it and built a timber extension.

Misterfish

Yes, I do routinely check eBay and will continue to do so, but thanks.

I had also considered timber but I usually overdo things and want to put it into original condition. Plus I'm developing a liking/obsession with cast iron!

In one of your photographs 'misterfish' I noticed your fence slide bar projected to the right, well beyond your table. As yours is a single-point fence what supports your fence if you slide it beyond the edge of the table?

I think it would be possible to make a good suibstitute from a piece of hot rolled U-channel.

U300 would be 300 mm wide with 100 mm wide flanges. The thickness of the top would be 10 mm. After some shaping with a big anglegrinder one could even weld a piece of flat bar onto each end to get a proper apron all around just like a cast iron table would have. After having the top and one flange machined flat at square to each other the extension would be almost impossible do distinguish from cast iron both in function and looks.

heimlaga":1tmzt5hs said:
I think it would be possible to make a good suibstitute from a piece of hot rolled U-channel.

U300 would be 300 mm wide with 100 mm wide flanges. The thickness of the top would be 10 mm. After some shaping with a big anglegrinder one could even weld a piece of flat bar onto each end to get a proper apron all around just like a cast iron table would have. After having the top and one flange machined flat at square to each other the extension would be almost impossible do distinguish from cast iron both in function and looks.

That is a brilliant idea! A friend of mine has a small engineering works, and he could mill the top and one flange as you suggest.

Definitely something I will look into. Thank you.

signmaker":2fevrbwc said:
misterfish":2fevrbwc said:

Misterfish

Yes, I do routinely check eBay and will continue to do so, but thanks.

I had also considered timber but I usually overdo things and want to put it into original condition. Plus I'm developing a liking/obsession with cast iron!

In one of your photographs 'misterfish' I noticed your fence slide bar projected to the right, well beyond your table. As yours is a single-point fence what supports your fence if you slide it beyond the edge of the table?

There is a supporting bracket arrangement bolted to the right hand side of the right extension. I'll take some pictures later today and post them to show you.

Misterfish

I've taken the pictures below to show the layout of my saw. On the left of the table is my home made extension table with storage cupboard beneath (containing table saw stuff) fixed in place of the sliding table that takes up too much space in the workshop.

stab1.jpg

stab6.jpg

The bracket that supports the fence when to the right of the table

stab2.jpg

stab3.jpg

The bar that the fence moves along has 3 bolt holes machined in it and in its current set up uses the first and second holes. The bar could be moved to the left by using the seconf and third bars.

stab4.jpg

stab5.jpg

If you want any further info just ask - I'm happy to measure the components of the bracket if you want to make one!.

Misterfish

Back