W692 3hp Double Bag Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks

I have an W692 3hp Double Bag Dust Extractor that i purchased secondhand around four years ago.
The machine has good chip extraction but changing the bags and turning it on and off is a pain in the backside.
The NVR is placed low down at the back of the machine. I am looking into ways to make it easier to turn the machine on and off.
My plan was to hotwire the NVR and use a remote control socket. I took the NVR out yesterday see picture below and found out the wiring is a bit more complicated than what i was expecting. It has a 15 amp cut out in the circuit. I also found out this machine requires a 16 amp connection which I was quite surprised as it has never tripped a breaker.

So to cut a long story does anyone know of a way i can make this machine work on a remote.
Thanks in advance for any help given
John
rsz_1rsz_1rsz_pica.jpg

My extractor is also a PITA as the NVR is low down on the motor too. My NVR is in it's own enclosure though, so I could just extend cables and move it higher.

I can answer your bag problem though.

I started out with 4 small pieces of duct tape to hold the bag while I put the clamp around it. Yesterday, my tape was so dusty it didn't stick any more.

I got 4 small neodiddlydum magnets (scavenged from hard-drives) and held the empty bag with those, worked perfectly.

NazNomad":2pfuigss said:
My extractor is also a PITA as the NVR is low down on the motor too. My NVR is in it's own enclosure though, so I could just extend cables and move it higher.

I can answer your bag problem though.

I started out with 4 small pieces of duct tape to hold the bag while I put the clamp around it. Yesterday, my tape was so dusty it didn't stick any more.

I got 4 small neodiddlydum magnets (scavenged from hard-drives) and held the empty bag with those, worked perfectly.

Great idea using the magnets :D Thanks

Quite fun to watch someone change a bag for the first time though.

The clamp is aaaaaalmost round it .... and the bag's off again. Oh well, 23rd time lucky. :-D

My extractor has these little hooks on it that keep the bag in place while you get the strap tightened up. I thought they all had that tbh as it makes changing bags a doddle!

memzey":28z3by94 said:
I thought they all had that tbh as it makes changing bags a doddle!

You'd think, in the design process, they would have been an obvious inclusion.

Alas....

Just be wary about the RC sockets, i saw a thread a few weeks ago where b&q had recalled some of their Rc sockets because of a fire hazard.

Indeed! I picked it up for about £100 off Gumtree from a local joinery shop that had just installed a monster 5 bag system. I don't think it was used that much as they had another couple of single bag machines they were selling as well. Turns out it's an ActivAir machine, designed and made in England. Very good quality I must say and loads of suck for a 2hp machine. Leaves virtually no errant chips when used with my Sedgewick Planer Thicknesser and of course, easy to change the bags on!

JWD":vwq82erw said:
Just be wary about the RC sockets, i saw a thread a few weeks ago where b&q had recalled some of their Rc sockets because of a fire hazard.

Yes I saw that after i purchased mine. I make sure they are all turned off at the end of the day

Did you notice that your switch seems to be rated 2HP and yet the motor you say is 3hp?

Sadly, a not uncommon occurrence in value engineered Chinese imports.
The correct way to do what you want is to use a proper contactor (electrically operated switch) and thermal overload relay designed to cope with the huge inrush currents in single phase motors as well as to protect the motor and use a remote controlled switch to power the contactor coil via the overload relay. You are possibly looking at about £35 plus the remote switches and cables.
No plug-in remote switch will be man enough to reliably switch a 3hp motor. People will claim it works but the the internal contacts are being over stressed and will eventually fail and weld together.

Myfordman":3mnhp454 said:
Did you notice that your switch seems to be rated 2HP and yet the motor you say is 3hp?

Sadly, a not uncommon occurrence in value engineered Chinese imports.
The correct way to do what you want is to use a proper contactor (electrically operated switch) and thermal overload relay designed to cope with the huge inrush currents in single phase motors as well as to protect the motor and use a remote controlled switch to power the contactor coil via the overload relay. You are possibly looking at about £35 plus the remote switches and cables.
No plug-in remote switch will be man enough to reliably switch a 3hp motor. People will claim it works but the the internal contacts are being over stressed and will eventually fail and weld together.

Thanks for the info Myfordman :) I have extended the lead

rsz_20180107_145125.jpg
rsz_nvr.jpg

Back