Volunteering to do favours...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
...and then realising you don't have all the kit!

I said I'd do a few bits and pieces for a friend later in the week including putting up some shelves/desks that they want from a length of worktop they have spare. No worries.

Need to buy a worktop jig. Knew that, £25 delivered from ChippyShop for one of their MDF ones, job done. Also worktop bolts. Fine.

Then realised I didn't have a long enough 12.7mm straight bit.
So I bought a router bit.

Then thought I'd better check that my 1/2" router, which lives in a table (JOF001) accepts my Trend guide bushes.
It doesn't, and Triton want £80 for their own custom set of imperial sized bushes. Jog on.
Don't have easy access to metalworking facilities at the drop of a hat (only with notice), so can't make my own.

Bought a new router, Erbauer from Screwfix, so I've got a 1/2" cheapie for running through templates where I need more grunt than my Elu, and need bushes.

Said I'd do the framing from pieces I had lying around for the end of the worktop - don't have anything suitable. Need to buy timber!

So with a wry smile I'm kicking myself a bit! Not particularly bothered as it's nearly all stuff that will see the light of day again on many an occasion, but I'm guessing across the years of experience on here there must be a few great examples of this sort of thing that put my shopping spree to shame?!

Go on, spill :D

Yes, worktop jigs of all kinds including a belfast sink jig I used once and a drainer groove jig - in fact, I ought to sell them on here really. Seems silly me having them lying about the place gathering dust.

I see this as a good way of getting new kit in past SWMBO!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nelsun":dxqbbx1z said:
I see this as a good way of getting new kit in past SWMBO!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Precisely my thoughts! I'm happy to help other people if it means I simply just have to buy that new bit of kit I want!

"Any chance you could help with some simple shelves in our alcoves?"

"Of course, not a problem."

- set of cabinet door framing bits (£70) - for the alcove CUPBOARDs that were then decided upon....
- new round-over bit (£30).... for the shelves that were going to be square-edged originally...
- hole saw to cut the cable tidy hole which hadn't been mentioned....

Again, all fine and dandy as I'll use them all again...

Also, it's nice to have the opportunity to do projects that I may otherwise not have had any motivation to do myself. I've made inset-alcove shelves/cupboards for friends, a new set of shelving/boxing-in and a boiler cupboard/shelves/doors for my sister, a free-standing hardwood noticeboard for the allotment association, and have some stool seats to make for another friend... none of these are projects I'd have done for myself.

What's most important is that there are no deadlines to these projects!!

Back