Vintage Pump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this Old very heavy Brass pump by "W&D". Firstly I wondered if anyone knows anything about these pumps or this one specifically (I have zero knowledge about them/it); like how old it is and what W&D stands for.
Untitled by Rhyolith, on Flickr
As it seems in fine working order and would like to be able to use it, but I am having trouble finding a hose. The first issue is finding anything that fits the old thread at the end of the pump (where the air comes out, close up below), have tried all the local shops I can think of (hardware, car and bike shops) and they either don't stoke parts for things anymore or only have metric threads (which this does not seem to be). The Second issue is finding decent quality hose at all, the ones I have seen thus far have all been cheap plastic crud.
Untitled by Rhyolith, on Flickr
Any knowledge and Know how appreciated :D
Thanks.

From your picture, it looks like an 1/8th taper gas thread, if you have a commercial/industrial refrigeration contracting company in your area give them a try, as this size fitting is common to them.

Hope this is of help.

Chris.

ChrisR":151y2ckl said:
From your picture, it looks like an 1/8th taper gas thread, if you have a commercial/industrial refrigeration contracting company in your area give them a try, as this size fitting is common to them.

Hope this is of help.

Chris.
I have no idea if I have such a company nearby, but its something to go on. Thanks :D

Rodders, what a brilliant resource you found there - not just a source of information but a source of spare parts as well. I'd have thought a call or email to the vintage pumps man would be your best next move, Rhyolith.

And I am now even more disattisfied with the flimsy Draper rubbish that I struggle with from time to time!

I picked up a couple of fabric covered rubber hoses a while back from a Market Stall in Abergavenny, perhaps if you have somewhere that has some stalls more in keeping with bygone eras rather than the plastic imported junk so many purvey you might come across similar.
pump2.jpg

Attachments

• pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 1,340
ChrisR":98ocibmi said:

Hope this is of help.

Chris.

The pitch of Internal threads can be measured (more or less) by screwing a suitable size piece of
dowel into them; the thread spacing can then be read from the dowel
using normal thread gauges.

BugBear

AndyT":1froi6tk said:
Rodders, what a brilliant resource you found there - not just a source of information but a source of spare parts as well. I'd have thought a call or email to the vintage pumps man would be your best next move, Rhyolith.

And I am now even more disattisfied with the flimsy Draper rubbish that I struggle with from time to time!

I have 3 'Kismet' brass pumps to restore (one of many projects on hold at present) and found that web site when researching spare parts. I too got fed up with battery powered pumps (Halfords special) failing and 'newer' manual steel pumps falling apart. Apparently, 'Kismet' were the dogs danglies and made pumps for Rolls Royce cars, the RAF (testing hydraulics on WW2 planes) and so on.

I see I am not the only utterly fed up with the modern crud! Good :D I cannot tell you how angry it makes me that it is practically impossible to find decent quality mechanical goods these days, especially for simple things like pumps. Its just such an epic waste of resources to manufacture the useless rubbish of excuses for tools that seem to dominate every shop... and people in this age are supposedly aware that this planet's resources are not infinite? Well they certainly don't act like it...

Bugbear":157puyes said:
The pitch of Internal threads can be measured (more or less) by screwing a suitable size piece of
dowel into them; the thread spacing can then be read from the dowel
using normal thread gauges.
I am not familiar with thread gauges, sounds like something extremely useful :D where do I get these?

Mike.S":157puyes said:
I have 3 'Kismet' brass pumps to restore (one of many projects on hold at present) and found that web site when researching spare parts. I too got fed up with battery powered pumps (Halfords special) failing and 'newer' manual steel pumps falling apart. Apparently, 'Kismet' were the dogs danglies and made pumps for Rolls Royce cars, the RAF (testing hydraulics on WW2 planes) and so on.
I have seen Kismet pumps on eBay, they look very similar to the W&D I have with the thicker piston and so on. I thought they looked higher quality and am glad to be able to confirm that my judgment was correct :D funny how you can often tell just by looking at something...

I noticed some oil and grease in various part of my pump (the piston rod etc), this got my thinking, is there any maintenance that will prolong the life of my pump? lubricants to use etc? Considering the main reason I am going to all this effort is to get something that will last for inflating bike and car tyres.

Another question to add to the mix, does anyone know where I can get pressure gauges?

Rhyolith":faumzw4o said:
I noticed some oil and grease in various part of my pump (the piston rod etc), this got my thinking, is there any maintenance that will prolong the life of my pump? lubricants to use etc? Considering the main reason I am going to all this effort is to get something that will last for inflating bike and car tyres.

Another question to add to the mix, does anyone know where I can get pressure gauges?

The pumps I have, have a hole for oil (I think any ordinary oil will do) in the top of the cylinder barrel. I think this is to lubricate and to keep the leather (in the Kismet pumps) washer supple and provide a good seal.

I've bought pressure gauges from plumbing suppliers - they're normally good for water and/or air and available for different pressure ranges/scales.

Mike.S":2w6zarfk said:
The pumps I have, have a hole for oil (I think any ordinary oil will do) in the top of the cylinder barrel. I think this is to lubricate and to keep the leather (in the Kismet pumps) washer supple and provide a good seal.
There are 2 holes at the front cylinder (just visible in my second photo at the top) which I assumed were air intakes, but putting my fingers over them and pumping does not seem to effect the air flow, so maybe thats what they are... will I damage it by putting oil in there if they are air intakes or something?

AndyT":2w6zarfk said:
Still on the oil question, the old pumps guy says anything but mineral oil - cooking oil or neat's foot are OK.
http://www.vintagepumps.co.uk/page28.html
I need to have a proper look at this site, only skimmed so far.

blackrodd":2w6zarfk said:
Antique pressure gauges here,-
Museum(?) here,-
http://www.valvelock.net/tire_gauge_museum.php

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... e&_sacat=0
Regards Rodders
Thanks for the links, checking them out now :D

bugbear":1u2i6gal said:
Rhyolith":1u2i6gal said:
I am not familiar with thread gauges, sounds like something extremely useful :D where do I get these?

Speaking personally, car boot sales, 50p each.

But new ones are probably available too. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_pitch_gauge

You'd want an imperial one, a metric one, and possibly a BA one.

BugBear
Oh yes, I recognise them now. Have seen them about before, if I had known what they were :D

Latest posts

Back