Vintage clamp/pliers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I've just acquired one of these as part of a box of tools I bought . . any idea what it might have been used for? It's about 150mm long, lower jaw adhusts with the knurled ring, the top pivots and locks/clamps with the trigger lever, made of forged steel by the look of it.

Attachments

• adj-clamp.jpg
    adj-clamp.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
Could you write down the patent number that is on it please. It is not possible to make it out from the photo.

You might come up trumps at espacenet: Espacenet – patent search

It can sometimes help to prefix the number with 'GB'.

Since my post I've been doing some research too - it looks as if it's a Speetog Patent Adjustable Clamp from the 1940s (although it doesn't look that old) - there seem to be a number of different Speetog products - all of which seem to be a sort of Mole wrench (the box of tools I bought also had about 6 different size/style Mole wrenches)

What interests me is what the Speetog would have been used for - if anything other than Mole wrench gets used for?

From google it appears its purpose is that the jaws remain parallel and thats it. For what exact application i couldnt say other than an early development of what became the mole grip wrench.

Could be useful for large nuts etc such as on pump valves or domestic immersion heaters? Better than using Stilsons (sp?) or similar, which always seem a crude approach to me.

very sweet looking thing.....
but it wont make my Bacho's redundant.....
tool history of all trades is an amazing subject......sad I know......

My conclusion is that it's in effect a Mole wrench - I shall be keeping it with my "treasured special old tools that don't get used" which include a square, mortise gauge, bevel and boxwood ruler that were my Grandfather's (and the square is possibly his father's before him)

Latest posts

Back