Victorian Wardrobe WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Not often will i take my camera into the workshop, its a DSLR camera which cost quite abit and im worried the dust will do damage. So WIP from me will be rare. Until ................. I realised my phone has a camera :lol:

This is my spin of a Victorian wardrobe. The MIL wanted a wardrobe, triple door and in the same style to a phono she found on the net. Its been in WIP for a few months due to paid work. So I taken this picture on my phone today to show her how its coming on.

lindasWDwip1.jpg

Its in two halves, its so heavy and wouldn't go through doors.
All the MIL is paying for are the materials so its all cheap timber. The horrid stuff the wood yard delivered when i ask for sawn softwood was in a horrid state. I considered having them replace it but then thought the colour variations might help with making the project looked aged.

The draws are fairly large, some what 450x720x550mm HxWxD each. I call them jumper draws. The MIL has lots of jumpers.
They are constructed using ply, biscuits, screws and glue. Nothing special really.

I have had some issues with the wood warping so i have had to add beams to to counter it. When i stated working on it again a few days before xmas i had to mallet the draws out due to the warping.

Still lots to do, 3 arched panel doors, centre one will have a mirror. Shelves inside and panel to support them, coving and trim around the top.

Attachments

• lindasWDwip1.jpg
    lindasWDwip1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2,250
Keep the camera on a tripod in the 'shop and cover it with a freezer bag, then tie off he bag with a piece of string underneath...no dusty camera. I've been keeping my Nikon D60 in the 'shop like this for a couple of years now with no ill effect - Rob

The MIL has lots of jumpers.
They are constructed using ply, biscuits, screws and glue. Nothing special really.
the mother in law is a tough old bird then is she :lol:

Tough enough for me to not get it wrong :lol: .

Had one of them days today, insomnia very bad of late, so little sleep and very tried today, made tons of stupid mistakes. Should have never gone in today. #-o

Out of all the days to try something i haven't done before, i choose today :roll: .
I have used router tables to mold cornices and small coving before, but i have never made my own large coving on the table saw. Its something i have been wonting to try for years but always brought it in ready formed. Anyway i had a try today and am quite happy with the results.

Milled and fitted the trim first then coving. The trim has a standard 1/2" round over.

lindasWDwip2.jpg

Attachments

• lindasWDwip2.jpg
    lindasWDwip2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 2,020
The cornice looks good for a first attempt on the table saw. I don't think I'd like to try it on a table saw myself though.

joiner_sim":fzbo48ek said:
The cornice looks good for a first attempt on the table saw. I don't think I'd like to try it on a table saw myself though.

Thank you. Its quite easy to do on the table saw, there are sites that work out all the angles and blade height and all that. I did just guess on mine by eyeballing it all (it wasn't perfect but close). The only thing about doing it on a TS is the roughness of the cut, sanding can be a pain but not to much hassle.

Well been doing more today.

A few days ago i ran the last part of the cornice and fitted and glued up the doors and panels.
The top part of the cornice is just a bullnose on top made from 20x30mm stock.

LindasWBdoorTops.jpg

Mirror came yesterday so today i have routing the doors ready for the panels and mirror.

LindasWDdoorsLean.jpg

I haven't fitted the doors there just lent in place for a photo.

All thats left is fitting and sanding the doors, quick sand over the lot, handles (may turn them myself) fitted and then finishing!

Attachments

• LindasWBdoorTops.jpg
    LindasWBdoorTops.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,710
  • LindasWDdoorsLean.jpg
    LindasWDdoorsLean.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,712
Nice work Hudson, hope your MIL has a bedroom large enough to take this.
You have not described the runners for those monster drawers. If it is not too late I would think that using some sort of metal/ b.bearing slides would make sense. Even if the drawers are to be filled with only wool jumpers, and not the wooden ones you described there will be a fair bit of weight and hence friction in there.

Just a thought.

David -

Thank you.

To late to install any runner system. They just run on wooden cleats. The draw sides and back are tall enough to prevent the draw from tipping out. Done this way to keep costs down. Plus the Victorians wouldn't have used a metal runner, not relative really as they wouldn't use modern biscuit joinery either. hehe

We originally wasn't going to have a mirror. I can get mirror cheaper then the cost of the timber for the panel so this was one reason we decided on one. The other reason was the picture she found had a centre mirror.

Yes she has plenty of room, 15x15' room, the wardrobe size was decided by the total width of the chimney breast (1600mm) it will sit up to.

Finally hand chance to finish this. MIL filled it FULL within 20 mins

The finish is a mix of 3 dyes and 2 coats. 3 coats of satin PUV.

Attachments

• wardrobe.jpg
    wardrobe.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,386
Slrs are fine in the shop just dont change your lens in ther but they are still ok assuming you the dust has settled and none is being made

Thank you Dance. Yes the very same day I put some cross battens in to push the end panels back into shape and keep them there. she hasn't put bloody jumpers in them though. I taken one out the other day to check all was still in order, bloody hell was the draw heavy.

Great looking wardrobe, I don't suppose you have plans drawn up for it? I'd love to try making a 2 door version for herself seen as she can't have a walk in wardrobe! No wooly jumpers here, but lots of shoes!

No plans its was all done from my head, sorry. If you want the measurements I bet I still have the sums on paper somewhere which I could do you a cutting list?

Latest posts

Back