Victorian farm.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody been watching this on BBC2?
Talk about memories!

Roy.

Mind you Victorian my foot! It wasn't that much different when I were a lad.
I have to say the producers expect a heck of lot from some of their victims. That chap ploughing behind a horse, normally a lad would have had some years leading the horse before he could expect to become a plough man, this poor chap gets 'horse ploughing in five easy lessons!'
The thing I remember most about the Ransome plough was that the bloody handles were too low, and I'm only five eight, and walking with one foot in the furrer and one on the grass. Hop, step, hop, step!
You were glad when the sun went down!

Roy.

Come on Digit it couldn't have been all bad we have an annual ploughing match here and loads turn up to have a go for fun! :eek:
Everything from horses to the latest machines take part.
Mind you the next day the entire feild gets ploughed in about an hour by a monster machine.
Going to be a good series i think.
Some pics on this site http://www.merseaislanders.co.uk/index.html click on ploughing match.

How long do they keep it up for?
The old English ACRE was not a fixed area, it was the amount of land that the standard plough rig of the area could manage in a working day and varied according to how difficult the land was.
You were expected to be the field as soon as it was light enough to see by and stayed till it was too dark to continue.
You got a break mid dayish, not 'cos the boss was kind hearted, but because the animals need feeding!
The horse/s were walked to the field in the dark and back in the dark, then they would be fed and watered and prepared for tomorrows work.
And there were worse jobs than that as well!

Roy.

I'll say! The worst job I ever did was 'spud picking'.
A large hessian sack with twine to go around you waist and over your shoulders to keep the neck open. The potatoes had been ploughed out of the ground and you walked along the furrow bent double. The tubers were thrown between your legs and into the bag as you plodded along. After half an hour it was easy 'cos you were permanently bent double!
The most common injury on the farm in my youth was the hernia!

Roy.

Digit":17qtszkb said:
How long do they keep it up for?
The old English ACRE was not a fixed area, it was the amount of land that the standard plough rig of the area could manage in a working day and varied according to how difficult the land was.

The deeds to my place has the land listed as "12.2 days" because until only about 10 years ago, that's how land was measured here.

Digit":2g5vb28n said:
Mind you Victorian my foot! It wasn't that much different when I were a lad.
I have to say the producers expect a heck of lot from some of their victims. That chap ploughing behind a horse, normally a lad would have had some years leading the horse before he could expect to become a plough man, this poor chap gets 'horse ploughing in five easy lessons!'

There just isn't the time - this program is far more generous than most, in that it runs for a year.

Most of these reality-history progs (e.g. the 1912 house etc) give the poor pippers about 3 weeks to "do" all the skills.

Skills which may have taken many years to gradually accumulate and refine in the actual period.

BugBear

Presumably thereby increasing the drama as we all watch the participants struggle due to lack of preparation.
Good viewing but hard on the people involved.
One of the things that I hope will come out of the programme is just how hard the life of women was not so very long ago.
The only thing in last night's programme that was different to my early years was electricity and the absence of bed bugs. DDT in the 'Flit Gun' had pretty much seen them off.

Roy.

Back