Vice problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
Problem with record 52 1/2 quick release vice.
When I grip the work using the quick release lever, then tighten the vice handle, the vice jaws close for about half a turn of the handle, gripping the work tighter, but then with a bit of a bang the vice slackens and I have to retighten it with the handle. Any ideas what this is and how to fix?
cheers
jc

Sounds like there might be some crud in the threads. When you push the lever, if you look underneath there will be a piece of metal that pushes up to the underside of the thread. Take this off and scrape out any dirt with a nail or something hard. If that doesn't work you may need to tighten the spring- not so easy :???:

Mine does that. I think with the first turn you are releasing it from the quick release mechanism. You then can continue to turn and clamp your item :)

All quick-release vices will do that. The reason is that in order to quick-release, the nut is made in two halves, and arranged to open up to clear the screwthread for fast adjustment. If the nuts are closed when they don't quite align with the threads on the screw, they'll catch on the top of the thread. Moving the jaw half a thread-pitch will bring them into line, and the snap is the spring closing the nut into engagement.

Cheshirechappie":fhyef1ne said:
All quick-release vices will do that. The reason is that in order to quick-release, the nut is made in two halves, and arranged to open up to clear the screwthread for fast adjustment. If the nuts are closed when they don't quite align with the threads on the screw, they'll catch on the top of the thread. Moving the jaw half a thread-pitch will bring them into line, and the snap is the spring closing the nut into engagement.

I never knew that #-o ,could not resist nipping out to the workshop for a peek underneath =D> =D> =D>

JohnCee":19ybzdtc said:
Hello all.
Problem with record 52 1/2 quick release vice.
When I grip the work using the quick release lever, then tighten the vice handle, the vice jaws close for about half a turn of the handle, gripping the work tighter, but then with a bit of a bang the vice slackens and I have to retighten it with the handle. Any ideas what this is and how to fix?
cheers
jc

Does this happens only when the vise is fully closed (which would probably indicated a worn thread on the screw) or when gripping items of pretty much any size (which would indicate a misbehaving or worn half nut)?

The former is very common, which is one reasons factories and workshops use plain screw vices more than sheddists do.

BugBear

Back