VHS outer cases - what plastic are they made from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been watching Randy Knapp on youtube making slingshots out of HDPE buckets. He leaves his in huge bits to melt it.

ColeyS1":19crjv5x said:
That's an excellent how to guide, thank you. I was expecting it to turn to liquid and be able to pour it, so the insight is very helpful. It sounds very similar to polymorph.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Cheers Coley .
I was expecting a liquid like state, but no its a fairly stiff plastic dough. Apparently the extruders use quite a bit of pressure when injection moulding.
Having never heard of polymorph I went for a quick look. Similar yes, but I'll bet this stuff is harder. It planes like wood :lol:

How long have you got before it becomes unworkable? I guess if it comes out the oven you'd need welding gloves or something to be able to handle/knead it ?
Sounds like it could make a decent dog chew under supervision !

rafezetter":zzgrxjyq said:
Hi Naz - I think we're cross purposes, I'm not talking about the cassette parts, inner or outer; I mean the clam shell case that the cassette sits inside, the one with the plastic clear film and paper insert for the name of the movie - it feels softer and more pliable than the cassette, I can squish it with my fingers.

Ah, I WAS talking about the actual cassette, sorry.

Just looked on some clear VHS cassette covers and inside the spine, they have 5 (in a triangle) and PP marked on them.

ColeyS1":lnpjr1tw said:
How long have you got before it becomes unworkable? I guess if it comes out the oven you'd need welding gloves or something to be able to handle/knead it ?
Sounds like it could make a decent dog chew under supervision !

I found you had a little while to play with it, I suppose it's down to how hot you get it.
Yes welding gloves would be a good idea. I just had a pair of heavy work gloves, just make sure they're clean whatever's on them will stick to it.

NazNomad":qwo0fdif said:
phil.p":qwo0fdif said:
lurker":qwo0fdif said:
We plan to replace our microwave in the January sales and I thought I might use the old machine to batch melt a load of these.
Will it work? As microwaves work on the water content I wouldn't have thought?

I wouldn't think a microwave would work, it won't generate heat.

Thanks, makes sense.
I watched a u tube ages ago and thought the bloke used a microwave, maybe it was a small oven and I wasn't paying attention,

lurker":2umfuimo said:
I watched a u tube ages ago and thought the bloke used a microwave, maybe it was a small oven and I wasn't paying attention,

Americans usually call it a ''toaster oven''. It's the sort of thing students throw away, often with a hotplate on top as well. :-D

Latest posts

Back