Very strange question from someone with limited knowledge..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what you guys thought of this, a friend of mine found it online and I was wondering what you think it would cost for the raw materials and how much work do you think it would be to build?

Im assuming its all real wood, not sure what though, and im from the UK.

newimagev.jpg

Im guessing its well beyond me (I dont really have the tools to cut such and item) but do you have any thought on what a carpenter might charge too?

That looks very simple to put together. The top(s) look like hardwood worktop to me, beech. You could order all the timber prepared and then all you'd need to do is use dowels to join it all together. Simples

Right.........woodworker's forum..........simple piece of woodwork.........have a go yourself!

This could be a nice little project to get you started, and you will soon realise which tools you need to buy or borrow. You might even make it better than the original!

the cost is all going to depend on the wood you choose to make it from. As a suggestion, if you haven't got access to machinery and you haven't got great planing skills, why not make it from PAR pine. That way there shouldn't be too much planing of the stock required.

If you tackle this project, we would all be delighted to answer your questions as you go......

Mike

Hi Matty, I think your first project should be to sort out your floor...it looks to be on a hell of a slope :wink:

I'll get me coat.

George_N":8x26zara said:
Hi Matty, I think your first project should be to sort out your floor...it looks to be on a hell of a slope :wink:

I'll get me coat.
Not quite as steep as the one he may well be getting onto soon :lol: - Rob

Chees Guys!,

You have filled me with a enough confidence to ask some more questions :)

Assuming I did do this myself - I really dont think id be able to cut the work top cleanly and to the correct size, I have a small garage but only simple tools. The idea of hand sawing a peace of wood like that scares the willys out of me. Correct me if Im wrong, but a clean cut would only be posible with machinary?

With that in mind, if I ordered such a peach of wood (say enough work top for 3 levels - like the image) I take it a wood supplyer would be able to cut it accuratly and cleanly?

With regard to dowels ...I know what they are but Iv always wondered how once drills the correct holes for them to be placed. I mean, I can drill a hole dirrectly though something, But obviosly I would not want to go though the other side.

Also....PAR pine.. Does the "Par" stand for anything, I did a seach online but didnt come up with much information or costs.

And...George...get your coat! ;)

I'd say beech worktop as well.

Any idea how big it is? Also, am I right in thinking it's comprised of 3 low coffee tables and two stools? Or is it a tv/av stand and I'm seeing things again? :oops: :lol:

If the 'worktop' is cut to size by the supplier, then a drill, some dowels, glue and sandpaper are all the tools you'd need.

Let us know which neck of the isle you're in. Some generous woodie might even offer to help you build it. Their nice like that :)

Best of luck!

Cheers.
Bryn :)

A mid range circular saw would do it, you can clean up the edges with sand paper or a plane if you have or would like to buy one.

A circular saw is a good early purchase for a woodworker.

Where are you based matt?

Shultzy":3zqz92nd said:
par = planed all round

Easiest dowel jig is the Miller

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/jo ... wel-system

Line the components up, drill straight through, glue and fit dowel, cut flush, finished.

Oh!...I watched the vids, the guy on the site does make it look surprisingly simple!

pren":3zqz92nd said:
Any idea how big it is? Also, am I right in thinking it's comprised of 3 low coffee tables and two stools? Or is it a tv/av stand and I'm seeing things again? :oops: :lol:
Not interested in the stools, just the larger middle unit, which would be used as a tv/hifi stand. If you look close the middle unit is made up from 3 units that rest on each other via small spikes
G129140AI.jpg

i'm guessing that the spike bases could and would cover the dowels.

wizer":3zqz92nd said:
A mid range circular saw would do it, you can clean up the edges with sand paper or a plane if you have or would like to buy one.
Is there a technique to maintaining a super straight cut with a circular saw. i'm not to keen on eyeing a straight line :)

wizer":3zqz92nd said:
Where are you based matt?
Just outside of Norwich

Cheers all again, your a great help!

mattyd":7rk214fg said:
Is there a technique to maintaining a super straight cut with a circular saw. i'm not to keen on eyeing a straight line :)

the simplest way is to clamp a straight edge (like a factory cut piece of mdf) to the line you want to cut then run the blade against it.

in the longer term it is well worth making a sled - loads of threads on that if you search the site.

Saw something similar recently, hi fi stand made out of what are essentially beech offcuts, all resting on spikes. The shelves were all much smaller than the one you've shown and retailing for over 100 quid per tier. Appeared to be dowel jointed too

wizer":6motjl5v said:
This is what you need

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_jo ... 83497.html
http://wayneofthewoods.com/circular-saw ... guide.html

I used one when I built my old workshop and they are the simplest, but most useful thing to have.

LOL.......thats super simple!

Another quick question.
Say I wanted to make a hole (to feed leads though), about 2-3 inch diameter. i'm guessing thats tricky, but what would be the best tools and workflow for something like that?

mattyd":3adb2t2e said:
wizer":3adb2t2e said:
This is what you need

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_jo ... 83497.html
http://wayneofthewoods.com/circular-saw ... guide.html

I used one when I built my old workshop and they are the simplest, but most useful thing to have.

LOL.......thats super simple!

Another quick question.
Say I wanted to make a hole (to feed leads though), about 2-3 inch diameter. i'm guessing thats tricky, but what would be the best tools and workflow for something like that?

power drill with a hole cutting bit or forstner bit - dead simple

or if you dont want a round hole a jig saw or hand held coping saw

big soft moose":3v1v791f said:
power drill with a hole cutting bit or forstner bit - dead simple

or if you dont want a round hole a jig saw or hand held coping saw

I did think of that but..

i'm not sure my drill is powerful enough to cut a hole as large as i need though thick wood - but i could rent a mains powered drill

Also, is there any technique to guarantee i drill at exactly, or close to 90 degrees though the wood

thanks again, i really appreciate it

where are you in the country? I have a pretty simple dowel joint kit you could borrow....

Miles

Back