Very specific hinge needed....I can't find it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Andy,
It looks to me that the leaf projects in front of the top & doesn't sit underneath, and you're right, there is a big gap, this wouldn't be acceptable.
Kitchen hinges wouldn't work, they would present the same problem as a slide mechanism, the legs wouldn't pass them when pivoted to their "open" support position. Also I'm not sure they would work anyway.

So, three important aspects.

1. The profile,...... rounded

2. The gaps,........ no gaps (1mm max)

3. The leaf........... it must sit under the top

The hinge you first asked about Isaac Lord in High Wycombe certainly used to sell they are called Invisible table hinges and although they probably not made for such a thick table top 32mm I am sure you could recess them in so that the pivot point is at the halfway point in the thickness of the table top, the only problem that there maybe is the hinge leaf on the table leaf may not be quite long enough to get the screws away from the edge.

mrtree":25agzw4q said:
bugbear":25agzw4q said:
Yes, of course.

Where did those pctures come from - is it a table you have access to?

BugBear

Googled I think, not by me. Unfortunately no access to the table & there aren't any pics of the underside that I can find.

Those images are not found by google "search by image" ?

BugBear

bugbear":3vmwhg13 said:
Those images are not found by google "search by image" ?

BugBear

mrtree":3vmwhg13 said:
Googled I think, not by me.

Absolutely, I can't be more specific at the moment, however I have contacted the chap who found the images for me to find out where they came from. I assumed he googled it.
It was manufactured by Club8 in Denmark in the 80's
He did buy a table but without the drop leaf back in the 80's so it's possible that these are pics of the table he bought then.
He wants another but wants to save space hence the double drop leaf.

MrTree.

If the leaf, when dropped, must sit under the top then, when you pull the leaf upwards for use, it has to move in two different planes. It has to pivot about the hinge centre until Horizontal. Then it must move upwards until it is level with the top. I just don't see how that can work. At least, not with any hinge I have ever seen. So somewhere there must be a hinge that works so the two movements can be accomplished.
Other than that, I am flummoxed! :(

I hope you manage to find the hinges, and from curiosity, I'd like to see a pic of them when you do.

Cheers.

Benchwayze":2yaookxf said:
MrTree.

If the leaf, when dropped, must sit under the top then, when you pull the leaf upwards for use, it has to move in two different planes. It has to pivot about the hinge centre until Horizontal. Then it must move upwards until it is level with the top. I just don't see how that can work. At least, not with any hinge I have ever seen. So somewhere there must be a hinge that works so the two movements can be accomplished.
Other than that, I am flummoxed! :(

I hope you manage to find the hinges, and from curiosity, I'd like to see a pic of them when you do.

Cheers.

Have you seen any of my other posts with pics?

I've posted this picture twice.

h417llghinge.gif

It does exactly what I want

It only moves in one plane.

I'll post it again for you :D........I fully understand your confusion...it does make your head spin, like trying to look round a corner with your eyes shut :?

Attachments

• h417llghinge.gif
    h417llghinge.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 43
Okay... I can see how that would work.

In your place, I would have a go at fabricating from mild steel plate and rivets.
Knowing me, it might not work, but no one could say I didden try! :)

Have you thought about that course? :)

nanscombe":45cuos0f said:
According to the picture, it would appear to be a Drop Flap Hinge H-417L (although you probably know that already :oops: )

I guess that finding it in the UK might not be easy.

Yes they're the ones, I have been in contact with the company trying to find out if they'll fit my top....it's 32mm thick.....they haven responded with "not sure"........marvelous....thanks a lot (hammer)

I'll have to get someone with the required drawing skills to do a working image.

Benchwayze":45cuos0f said:
In your place, I would have a go at fabricating from mild steel plate and rivets.
Knowing me, it might not work, but no one could say I didden try! :)

Have you thought about that course? :)

Yes I have contacted a laser cutting & fabricating firm............they haven't returned my email...........is there a pattern developing here

Given the way it appears to work, scribing a 90 degree arc around the pivot, I would suspect that it is designed for a specific table thickness.

For a different thickness the proportions would probably need a tweak. This is how I think it works.

dropFlapHinge01002a by nanscombe, on Flickr

Yes that works in the same way as the hinge in my original post, all I need to do now is locate them or similar in the UK :?

A swing clear cranked hinge would work . let into the underside of the top to clear the swivelly legs, cranked end let into the edge of the drop leaf
Matt

Shrubby":3oocjznu said:
A swing clear cranked hinge would work . let into the underside of the top to clear the swivelly legs, cranked end let into the edge of the drop leaf
Matt

Thanks for that suggestion, I'm struggling a bit so bear with me,

Please show me where you would place the hinge, I can't quite see it.

table top where.png

Attachments

• table top where.png
    table top where.png
    12 KB · Views: 90
Not sure if this helps. The pics show two table top extensions which needed to be hinged together to butt end-to-end but able to fold flat face-to-face when not in use to be stored under the main table top. The main top is in two halves and slid apart to reveal the extensions. The top half of the extension is unfolded to lie in line with the other half and the ends pushed together to engage the hinge lock.
You can see (I hope) from the pics that this particular hinge is restricted to 30mm max thickness (hence the reduced thickness at one end) and also needs a rebate (slot) for the hinge arm.
Sorry, I don't have any pics of the hinge in place (the table is my son's) but I know it works fine and the result is sturdy. I have found a picture of the hinge which was described as an RV hinge which we sourced out of the US.

table hinge.jpeg
table flaps 001.jpg
table flaps 002.jpg
table flaps 003.jpg

Attachments

• table flaps 002.jpg
    table flaps 002.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 72
  • table flaps 003.jpg
    table flaps 003.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 72
  • table flaps 001.jpg
    table flaps 001.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 72
  • table hinge.jpeg
    table hinge.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 72
Thanks but that won't work.
I don't want to cut intro the moulding, the leaf needs to "hang down" as there is no space to store under the top.

Can you not use the traditional hinge but have the leaf on a slider so when down it sits flush with the end of the worktop? I mean fabricate a hinge add-on that will allow the leaf to slide by worktop thickness plus 1/2". Basically when down, the leaf sits extended on the slide. You raise it and push it back to meet the worktop. You could even incorporate a couple of small s/steel locating dowels into the meeting edge of the leaf, protruding about 1/4".

I'd knock up a sketch to show you what I mean but it's not easy on a mobile phone :lol:

I've just rung Isaac Lord and they still sell these in florentine bronze colour £1.40 each + vat at that price why not try one and see.

MMUK":2rwxye3w said:
Can you not use the traditional hinge but have the leaf on a slider so when down it sits flush with the end of the worktop? I mean fabricate a hinge add-on that will allow the leaf to slide by worktop thickness plus 1/2". Basically when down, the leaf sits extended on the slide. You raise it and push it back to meet the worktop. You could even incorporate a couple of small s/steel locating dowels into the meeting edge of the leaf, protruding about 1/4".

I'd knock up a sketch to show you what I mean but it's not easy on a mobile phone :lol:

Thanks, I think the problem might be the clearance I need with the pivoting legs. I can't see my legs being able to pass any sliding mechanism...it's bad enough with just the hinge.

Chrispy":2rwxye3w said:
I've just rung Isaac Lord and they still sell these in florentine bronze colour £1.40 each + vat at that price why not try one and see.

Thanks, I've emailed them with the sketch, I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow, I assume it's the invisible table hinge you spoke of before, I searched their site but found nothing.

Latest posts

Back