Very Fine Paint Brush

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I want to hand paint (finish) using several coats, a guitar using nitrocellulose guitar paint. I am looking to buy the finest brush available. I have done some research regarding brushes and there is a choice of brush from :
Wooster silver tip varnish brush / China bristle brush / Extremely fine haired animal brush / Purdy make of brush--possibly more? What have you used and the brush was perfect for the job?

I’ve used purdy and Wooster for both paint and varnish with a good finish but not on something as fine or intricate as a guitar ( and no experience with nitrocellulose paint ) but something from an artist’s brush selection maybe more suitable as they tend to be finer .bring on the instrument makers-

Mike

I’ve never used the paint you mention so don’t know about how it drys etc but I imagine it flows and levels quite well.

I’d be avoiding Wooster or Purdy for that type of job.
I’ve used them both in many variations over the years and always think they are overrated but ok for general paints.
Staalmeester make some quality brushes for all purposes and I’d think they would be much better suited to the task.
I’ve used them extensively for a variety of things.
MyPaintbrush stock them and have a very good selection.
The problem with Pure bristle brushes is that the quality of bristle is not the same as it used to be and they can be quite stiff if filled as they should be.
They can also need “breaking” in a bit and depending on the quality and will lose more or less bristle.

Best to test a few brushes first .
I can send you a couple of Staalmeester brushes FOC for you to try them and if you don’t get on with them I’m sure you‘ll find some use for them.
Wont cost you anything .
All the best
Gerry

How much are you prepared to spend? Try here . I haven't bought from them in a while. I used to buy Omega brushes from them.

Purdy are my favourite but I quite like the Pro dec Ice fusion and they are a lot cheaper.
I would sugest build up a really thick finish then flat it back with wet and dry up to 2500 grit then buff it with polishing compound, this way the brush matters much less.

Ollie

Nitrocellulose paint is unsuitable for brush painting. It dries as it is applied, and too quickly to level, leading to drags and lumps. These can be sanded out, but the application of a second coat will soften the first coat and cause an even rougher finish. You will regret starting the job. I tried this many years ago, using many different methods, different brushes (from fine watercolour mops, to Purdys), and a variety of thinners (standard, retarder...), and even tried a rubber in the same way as French polishing. I ended up spraying, using Blending Clear, and got the finish I wanted.

You might even consider a sponge paint brush? Jay (in Repair Shop or one of his other shows) tested one and was very impressed with it. Gave a "very smooth finish.

Also a sanding between coats with fine sand paper - or possibly damp wet 'n dry too - will help even out any bumps etc., remove any dust particles too; and after a couple of coats and sanding leave you with very nice smooth finish.

Nitrocellulose paint is unsuitable for brush painting. It dries as it is applied, and too quickly to level, leading to drags and lumps. These can be sanded out, but the application of a second coat will soften the first coat and cause an even rougher finish. You will regret starting the job. I tried this many years ago, using many different methods, different brushes (from fine watercolour mops, to Purdys), and a variety of thinners (standard, retarder...), and even tried a rubber in the same way as French polishing. I ended up spraying, using Blending Clear, and got the finish I wanted.
I would agree. This is the sort of paint we used to use on cars. Great stuff in many ways, but one of its great qualities is that it goes off very quickly, far too quickly for hand painting. Never actually tried it, but I would think it will be quite impossible to paint anything with it by hand, unless you want it to look as though it was done by Stevie wonder using a dead cat for a brush, which I'm guessing isn't the look you are after :) Needs to be sprayed, and use an anti bloom thinner which you will get at any decent car paint factor.

Hello, I was just wondering as I have not seen it mentioned is this an acoustic guitar or a solid electric the reason I ask is the varnishing/finishing on an acoustic guitar is far more sensitive than on a solid.

Many thanks for all your replies--very helpful. I did not realise that nitrocellulose paint was fast drying--not suitable for brush application. Spray painting is not for me as tried spray painting once, terrible results--leave it to experts.

Back