Veritas Honing guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David C":35vggsur said:
Scooby,

Just trying to save you money...... however I suspect you have been seduced by the lure of the all singing and dancing L-V, which has had a lot of thought put into its design.............
David

Thanks David, trying to save some money is always a good thing. To be honest I think I will get a lot of use from the mkII guide. I don't use the eclipse one much at all as I really don't get on with it. With the amount of bevel forming I'll be doing soon I think the veritas is just right for the job. I have been seduced a little bit :oops: as I think the way the registration jig works is really good.

I'll stick the eclipse on a for sale thread for a few quid and see if anyone wants it. Knowing me, if I don't spend the money on mkII guide I'll probably just spend it on something where I have nothing to show for it, except a hangover probably :D

Thanks for all the advice, it's appreciated.

scooby":9jr1ka82 said:
I'll stick the eclipse on a for sale thread for a few quid and see if anyone wants it.

I'd keep it if I were you. The second-hand value is virtually nil (they are not expensive new). In my experience no jig does everything (not even the Veritas Mk II) and I reckon if you get rid of the Eclipse you will regret it some time :wink:

Paul

i agree with paul chapman,
you can never have too many jigs, and the resale price is minimal,
not worth the effort.

anyway once you have the mk11 down, you will find that you are
more confident with the eclipse so you will then be in a win win situation. :lol:

paul :wink:

Ditto to what Paul and Paul said. I have a LV MkII and an Eclipse and I use them both. I use the Eclipse for my narrow chisels (1/8" and 1/4") because I reckon it holds them better than the MkII. I wouldn't get rid of the Eclipse if I were you.

I would urge you to try freehanding it. It takes a bit of practice, and stopping and starting can lead to some odd results but I find that exactitude about the honing angle is not as important as a consistent angle. So, 24 or 25 degrees - who cares?

The thing is, once you have mastered it. it's like riding a bike. I probably only sharpen chisels every few months (not being doing much woodwork lately) but it's still 2nd nature.

The trick is to not swivel your wrists as you move back and forth, because that will cause a rounding of the honed edge, but to achieve whole arm movement, if you get my drift?

Once mastered it's a darn sight quicker than setting up a guide - or so I found. My guide's in a junk box somewhere.

On a related note. My 78 year old father-in-law was a time served journeyman carpenter and he never used a different grinding and honing angle, nor did he reverse the chisel and remove the scurf - reckoned that it all helped the cutting action

Hi

Does anyone know is the Camber Roller available in the UK
yet?

I have had a quick search but can't seem to track
one down.

AndyB

Oh, forgot to say I got a mkII guide the other week :D Used it on a 240 grit waterstone (also new) to remove the nicks on some chisels. Very impressed :D

I bought one from the BriMarc stand at Yandles on Saturday, so they do have some in stock now.

Back