Honing Guide for Mortice Chisels.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cheap honing guide for mortice chisels, or has anyone modified an Eclipse type guide to do the job?

Thanks

Gary

Can anyone recommend a cheap honing guide for mortice chisels, or has anyone modified an Eclipse type guide to do the job?

Thanks

Gary
Best done freehand to get the mortice chisel rounded bevel. Put it on the stone at 30º ish, push it forwards then dip slightly as you go. Repeat to and fro at speed. Turn and take off the burr.

Rounded bevel?
Yep. Normal with mortice chisels as it gives leverage in blind mortices. Part way to being a swan neck chisel.
Also quicker and easier than fiddling about with jigs, which nobody needs anyway.

Last edited:
....and we're off 😂 😂

Funny Popcorn GIFs | Tenor

I have done it with an Eclipse type honing guide using the plane blade holder with a couple of small wooden blocks on either side of the chisel blade to bridge the gap so it can be gripped when tightened.

I have done it with an Eclipse type honing guide using the plane blade holder with a couple of small wooden blocks on either side of the chisel blade to bridge the gap so it can be gripped when tightened.

Did everything hold together ok doing that and what thickness block did you use?

Yes - holds together fine. The blocks were roughly the same thickness as the chisel. I think I have them in my sharpening box. Will check when I get home later and post a picture if I have.

Yep. Normal with mortice chisels as it gives leverage in blind mortices. Part way to being a swan neck chisel.
Also quicker and easier than fiddling about with jigs, which nobody needs anyway.
The gadget sellers and their willing victims won't want to hear that!

The gadget sellers and their willing victims won't want to hear that!
The odd thing is - I've come up with the design for a brilliant gadget of my own, a honing jig which does rounded bevels. 🤔
It does the job, edge at 30º (but rounded off behind), fast and easy to use.
But the big problem (commercially) is that as soon as you get to see how it works you realise you don't really need it!
Might sell a few I suppose, if anybody out there wants to have a go.
I don't suppose I'm the first to think of it, but who knows - the idea that everybody needs gadgets is still fairly new and there might be money in it yet.
Gadget selling could be a lot easier than doing woodwork for a living.
What about a daft gadget of the week thread?
Here is a contender:
https://www.google.com/search?q=woo...CDU5MzVqMGo0qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8Also very expensive, which picks up extra points.

Last edited:
The odd thing is - I've come up with the design for a brilliant gadget of my own, a honing jig which does rounded bevels. 🤔
It does the job, edge at 30º (but rounded off behind), fast and easy to use.
But the big problem (commercially) is that as soon as you get to see how it works you realise you don't really need it!
Might sell a few I suppose, if anybody out there wants to have a go.
I don't suppose I'm the first to think of it, but who knows - the idea that everybody needs gadgets is still fairly new and there might be money in it yet.
Gadget selling could be a lot easier than doing woodwork for a living.

Ok, @Jacob , there I do agree with you.
A large part of your target audience will not actually comprehend,
even after understanding how it works, that they don't need it.
They will still buy it.
(especially if it has some brass/bronze bits)

Back