Chisel id please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbonevia

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this chisel in a job lot of chisels from eBay, most were relatively modern but this one looks older, to me at least.

Is it possible to identity it, and give an approximate date?

The only marking is on the blade.

What would such a small mortice chisel be typically used for?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
An in focus picture would really help :D using my powers of squint and pattern recognition it looks to say
Ibbotson & Co
Cast steel

Which would be Thomas Ibbotson company, bought by Marples in 1905 but they kept the name going.

Some info from the great Ken Hawley collection:

https://hawleysheffieldknives.com/n-fulldetails.php?val=i&kel=723

The prevalence of very small chisels like this has been debated a few times with a good argument for use in making mortices for glazing bars in window making if I remember correctly

have attached a close up using a proper camera & lens - agree that it's Thom Ibbotson & Co, thanks again.

Am pleased my squinting was accurate. Should be a nice tool if it’s a size you can find work for

My theory is that they are just normal firmer chisels. They were made deep because if they were thin they would be bendy under normal usage.

Lovely chisel and a very handy size, I use these finer chisels for cleaning up mitred mouldings and small grain repairs.

Back