veritas honing guide sucks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There I am making a nice new thread appear and you post in this one... ](*,) Right, a simple one word post in the new thread and I can copy this over and edit it in under your name, and then come back and delete this. That should work. I hope.

Cheers, Alf

arrgh, it's all too complicated. The other thread's over here, peeps. You work it out. :roll:

First, thanks for the warm welcome from everyone! I am looking forward to exchanging ideas and opinions!

But it is useless for wider blades; you can't physically get them into it. You need to buy additional jigs for wider blades, as you say. So I believe actually we agree, apart from maybe a willingness or not to spend money on addition honing guides... :wink:

Personally, I wouldn't way the Richard Kell honing guide is useless for wider blades - I haven't found another one that will handle chisels from as thin as 1/8 inch to as wide as 2 5/8"! Perhaps my original post was misleading, as I re-read it, it didn't sound clear the wider width guide which I have handles chisels over one inch, as well as, under one inch.

My friend had the orginal standard model, but I got the new wider width model a few months ago. I haven't tried it myself, but the paperwork that came with it said that this guide is unique in that it also is good for short chisles, like Japanese chisels. I tend to be frugal with my tool purchases (my wife likes that!), so I do agree with you Alf, there is no need to spend money needlessly. I certainly think my wider width guide suits my needs.

Lance

If the catalogs are mailed on May 23rd, when do they usually show up?

If the catalogs are mailed on the 23rd, are the honing guides available on the website on the 23rd too? :?:

Never mind the review?! :shock: You want one without reading the review?! Okay, I'm going to sulk now... [-(

Cheers, Alf

tombo":37488uv3 said:
Not knowing any better I have been struggling to get my chisels set in the guide perfectly straight, I thought that there was little i could do other than use a square to set it up. However i just got the DC disk number one on plane sharpening, he uses and eclipse guide and that looks so much better as it clamps from both sides so its inherently straight. Are there any tricks to using the veritas guide or should i binn it and get myself an eclipse one?

tom

Tom

I have never seen the veritas and so cannot comment on it. I use an eclipse that cost £11 and has worked on all of my chisels and plane irons without problem since I bought it.

waterhead37":1i87ljjh said:
Mea Culpa - please, pretty please, let us have a review (on knees begging).
Oh, all right then. :roll: :lol: Just don't expect too much; I'm very much in the borderlands where any knowledge I have meets the vast plains of all the things I'm a total ignoramus about... The Scrub review should hit the board first, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

How does one get to be a reviewer of forthcoming tools?

(looking around for Rob Lee . . . )

ydb1md":39p39fkn said:
Being rude to BriMarc seemed to work for me, but I think that was just a fluke... Also being totally insane is more beneficial than you might imagine. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Having exceptionally high intellect, great charm, tremendous humour, and good looks seems to work for me :)

It was either that, or the ability to be thick skinned and preparedness to say what you think (being impulsive helps here at lot!) :D

So far, whatever I have reviewed has been offered to me. I have never solicited anything. On the other hand I understand that LV may respond positively if you offer your services in this regard. What is important is the ability to think critically and communicate well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I was on the Lee Valley website today and ordered one. It's not officially online yet. If you want to order it, you can call customer service or go to the lee valley site, go to the page for the old honing guide, throw this address in your browser

javascript:OpenProdInfo('05M0901','0','33001','1,43072,43078','buy','','2');

and hit the return key :)

If the price comes up as $48.50, you know you're on the right track.

ydb1md":1c95ube0 said:

I was on the Lee Valley website today and ordered one. It's not officially online yet. If you want to order it, you can call customer service or go to the lee valley site, go to the page for the old honing guide, throw this address in your browser

javascript:OpenProdInfo('05M0901','0','33001','1,43072,43078','buy','','2');

and hit the return key :)

If the price comes up as $48.50, you know you're on the right track.

.... or you could just wait 'til tomorrow at 2:00 pm when we run the upload, and you'd have a bunch more things to look at... :shock: 8)

Will take a few more days to get 'em all done though.... :whistle:

Cheers -

Rob

.... or you could just wait 'til tomorrow at 2:00 pm when we run the upload, and you'd have a bunch more things to look at... :shock: 8)

Will take a few more days to get 'em all done though.... :whistle:

I didn't get to see Star Wars Episode VI on opening day because I had to be responsible and go to work. :cry: So . . . I figured I'd at least try to be at the front of the line for the new honing guides. :)

Latest posts

Back