Honing Guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I sold my Veritas Honing guide as I found it too complex for my needs, I am looking to go down the traditional route and build myself an angle jig setting my secondary bevels. I have the Tormek for preparing / renewing the primary bevel. Is the Lie Neilson Honong Guide worth the money, or are there alternatives ?

I sold my Veritas Honing guide as I found it too complex for my needs, I am looking to go down the traditional route and build myself an angle jig setting my secondary bevels. I have the Tormek for preparing / renewing the primary bevel. Is the Lie Neilson Honong Guide worth the money, or are there alternatives ?
The "traditional route" is freehand without jigs. It's easier, quicker and cheaper.

If you are doing it freehand, there is nothing wrong with making a couple of right angle triangles out of ply with 25 and 30 degree angles. Not a honing guide but something just to set you up at the correct angle when you are starting
Ian

If you are doing it freehand, there is nothing wrong with making a couple of right angle triangles out of ply with 25 and 30 degree angles. Not a honing guide but something just to set you up at the correct angle when you are starting
Ian
Or just pick up a school 30/60º plastic set square. You don't need a reference for the 25º you just need to grind at a slightly lower angle than 30º.
30º is the only angle you need to get into your brain (or near enough), but it's quite easy to do and never troubled anybody until modern sharpening was invented!

Surely if you have a Tormek then it's just a case of (freehand) registering the primary bevel on your stone, tilting the blade a little higher (5°) and grinding the secondary bevel. Doesn't have to be that accurate and quick to do.

If your chisels have parallel sides, the Lie Nielsen or Eclipse honing guides work well. I used the Veritas and Eclipse guides because they were given to me, and LN guide in David Charlesworth's tool tuning course. I gave away the first two and bought the LN guide.

Back