Veritas Bevel Up Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of course you could also buy a set of multi stands from QVC, or whoever makes their article 516862

this could also hold the wood whilst you are doing the work.

paul :wink:

no disrespect, but surely you should not have to re sharpen so regularly.
a quick hone maybe but

What's the difference between sharpening and honing - I thought they were the same thing?

sorry to disagree paul,

but sharpening is to get the edge, and honing including backing off and removing the wire edge are to retain and improve it.

remember my recent saga with the no 9 required both sharpening and final honing to get where i needed to be.

at least that is what all i have read recently seems to say :?

paul :wink:

engineer one":3dqzoc2h said:
but sharpening is to get the edge, and honing including backing off and removing the wire edge are to retain and improve it.

It's just terminology, Paul. If you haven't removed the wire edge, then you haven't sharpened the blade - maybe made it a bit less blunt, but not sharp. I think most people would class the words "sharpening" and "honing" as interchangeable - rather like cramps and clamps.

But it doesn't really matter - just as long as you know what you mean and I know what I mean :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Karl, sorry to be awol at a vital moment! Lots of good advice, the most important being pressure on the fence. Folks who advocate no tail vice on benches I reckon can't use fenced planes much, but that's another story. :wink: Also a feature of the bevel-up planes is the wear bevel on the back of the iron comes into play, and that much sooner the thinner the shaving you're taking. So a good sharpening regime to clobber the wear bevel each time and keeping on top of the sharpening as a whole while you work is important. Also an argument against A2 steel imo, but that's yet another contoversial subject for another time. :wink: It's also an argument for a higher bedding angle as an alternative for bevel-up planes, but that's an argument for Rob... :D

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back