Veneering complex shapes ... best material for base?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidadew

Established Member
Reaction score
I am soon to make a baloon clock that has complex curves on it, and which will be veneered.

Am researching the best material to make the base from, and, what people used to use, as well as what would be the most suitable now.

Can't make from one solid piece of wood as it is too large (and it might move). Nor do I feel I can just glue layers of say beech together as that may move, and veneer may split where boards were glued together.

Research has suggested that glueing plywood layers together forms a good, stable base, which I can veneer safely on to. By this I mean the ply isn't going to move over time, and damage the veneer top.

Can I glue veneer safely on to a ply base without it blistering - I will fill in any holes of course etc.

Any suggestions very welcome!

Make a solid former from MDF and then laminate several layers of skinply (aeroply) around the former and then veneer onto that. Ideally you want a vacuum press to get it all solid with no voids between the layers but suitable cauls and a lot of clamps will do the job.

Back