variable speed conversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezey

Reaction score
hi all,
ive just started a few weeks ago in wood turning. i want to convert my nova 3000 to variable speed with reverse ive found one company called speed genie that do it but want around £350 for it anyone got any suggestions. cheers darren

Speed genie off the shelf conversions do the job . You could go the way of buying and inverter and a compatible DC motor but if your no electrician buy an off the shelf package. You can upgrade it to a DVR if you buy a DVR head but that's a really expensive way of doing it.

Hi Darren.

You can convert for approx. £230 all new kit. i.e. new inverter, new motor. That included a dustproof steel case as well, but only cause I was too lazy to make one of my own. I have converted my own Nova 3000 but my machine is one of the first to reach these shores. It has a motor platform, the newer models I believe have a face mounted motor.

The inverter I used was a Teco T-verter, because it was the first I found that had a integral fan. DO NOT buy a DC motor if you go this route the motor you need is a 230/415 3 phase motor. Sorry Russell.
I believe it is classed as a delta star configuration. I'm no spark so am not really up on the names.

I went this route only because I know two woodturners, 1 professional and 1 hobby who have had problems with purpose built VS lathes. In fact one machine was away for over 3 weeks being repaired.

I like the idea that if my electronics go west I can just go out and buy another complete inverter.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/drives_direct_nottingham
Try this guy, he is very helpful and will take you through the whole wiring sequence if needed. I HAVE NO LINK WITH HIM. Just bought my second inverter from him.

Sorry for being so long winded, and good luck.

thanks guys will be looking into these options, and will update once im sorted.
thanks again, darren

TEP":3qdzydow said:
Hi Darren.

The inverter I used was a Teco T-verter, because it was the first I found that had a integral fan. DO NOT buy a DC motor if you go this route the motor you need is a 230/415 3 phase motor. Sorry Russell.

Dont be sorry thats what I meant I was having a bit brain fade this afternoon too much digging in the sunshine

No problem Russell.

I've done all my digging and am planting my spuds today.

Back