Value of an ML8 these days?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
A non member friend is now a bit too frail to undertake woodturning asked me how much his ML8 might sell for.
Knowing him as I do I would expect it to be in very good condition and he has added some spare parts over the years and looked after it.

I'm used to the S/H market for Myford engineering lathes but no idea for the woodworking ones. I was always under the impression that they are well liked.

I can't advertise it here without a price so some guidance would be welcome.

TIA

MM

Thanks Jon,

I've looked at historic prices on ebay and they are in that sort of range ie pretty poor.

The metalworking Myfords generally go for silly money with a lot more potential risk of have been abused etc and expensive work needed to make them usable.

MM

The bottom of the market has dropped out. I sold mine a couple of years ago on evilbay for £210 -without a stand, and without a motor. But I've seen one go recently for not much over £100 - and that was immaculate and on a cabinet.

Can't comment on that particular lathe. However evil bay prices bemuse me. I did recently give some advice on a poole wood 28-40 lathe only to find that a couple of weeks later one was sold on evil bay for £650, way more than I had suggested.

I felt guilty at first and then sorry for the poor person who thought £650 was a worthwhile price for such a mediocre lathe. I know, I have got one. The bed bars are springs and the banjo is crude. An odd machine if ever there was one. I paid a fraction of that and still feel a bit sore.

Anyway, point is there are some ML8 lathes on evil bay that have gone for much more -luck of the draw I guess. I have found evil bay prices tend to higher than sale prices on forums so maybe take good photos and try that route? Of course if it goes for a high price then there is the guilt....

I recently sold something at an implement sale. Was going to take to tip but had nothing to lose. Anyway, £160 better off. Think people get carried away at auctions.

I know the myford metal lathes are well regarded but does this translate to the wood lathes as well?

BM

bogmonster":1ibiz7pk said:
I know the myford metal lathes are well regarded but does this translate to the wood lathes as well?
To be brutal, NO. The ML8 was beautifully made, but IMHO does not really stack up against more modern lathes except for sentimental reasons. Bowl turning is limited, unless you have room to use the "wrong" end of the spindle and are prepared to buy left hand and right hand threaded accessories. That said, many owners have made superb work on them because of their build quality. Sadly, the prices suggested above are realistic.

Coming up to date, the Mystro was not a good design at all (I've got one, so can list its foibles :( ) although variable speed ones do seem to sell for highish prices possibly on the basis of the name. It's unlikely that Myford's new owners will do much to support them, as total sales were not impressive.

I have lost count on how many ML8 lathes i have bought over the last few years, most have been around the £100.00 to 200.00 most in very good condition with lots of extras. They all get broken for spares and every bit sells and will fetch a good price. they are a nice small lathe.

I have the ml8 which came to me from freecycle. As a starter lathe, it has served me very well. Even with my clumsy first attempts I haven't managed to damage it too badly.
As mentioned, it is very limited in terms of bowl turning. The largest size inboard is about 8" and outboard my personal best was 14" - and I will add, that was quite a hairy experience. The biggest fear when turning outboard is the perceived lack of support.
Mine has the cabinet, which fills up with wood shavings very quickly. The bed is a hollow tube with slots in it. The shavings get inside the tube, then fall into the cabinet via the beltway.
Even taking the few limitations into account, I would still rather pay £150-£200 or so for a good used ml8 than some of the other "entry level" lathes out there. (£90 from Aldi for example....)

I paid about £120 for mine - mint condition + nice shop made stand.

They're nice lathes ~ I'm very, very happy ~ , but you're up against lathes with variable speed dials, scroll chucks, common thread sizes and such. The ML8 is a bit esoteric.

If there are chucks and the like, sell them separately.

Hi John,
I am humble enough to admit that I only suspected what MM's lathe was worth - I wouldn't have suggested watching the ebay link if I really knew but I am quite surprised that not just one, but two people were prepared to pay nearly £250 for it, which is why it finally went for so much.

What I do know is that I wouldn't have paid that much for an ML8.

Jon

Jon I completely agree with you,
I would never pay anywhere near that for an ML8, I used a Tyme Avon for
more years I care to admit but IMO a far better lathe than an ML8.
I now use an Axminster AWVSWL 1200 . I would prefer a Magma Black Line TITAN,
but until I win the jackpot my AX. will do me fine.
John

Back