utility storage help (ive took pics) plus need other help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
hi again you lot (thanks for the replies yesterday.
ok yes another thread by me lol
as you know i've never worked with wood before,
but am trying to make some storage in my mums metal shed for her to save her some money out of old pallets (free :) ), its taking me a while and i'm doing so bad, (i didnt sand down the pallets,i think i should of maybe)
ps i need to buy some nails or screws as i'm nearly out of all the old ones we had lying around lol,whats the cheapest place to buy them?
online or not? i've heard of screwfix and toolstation (any good or is their better?) im in berskshire windsor area

anyway i beg someone tell me how they would build this ,like ummm draw it or something, basically i want 64inch height (most the pallet wood is 40 or so so i cut it to 32inch height) so i was wanting to double them somehow 2 make 64
i build 2 ,flung 1 on top, but it looks awful with the second feet in the middle lmao :) help
ps is it better to use screws or nails???? (i used nails as some i kept from the pallets and used,but i might go screws in future i dnt know)
i'm a wood dummy sorry.

.....as you know i've never worked with wood before,
but am trying to make some storage in my mums metal shed for her to save her some money out of old pallets (free )....

You know GE....it wouldn't matter if your final work looked like a bunch of old tat (which is definitely does not)....the sentiment above says it all.

Your mother should be very proud of you my friend!

In fact...I went seeking old pallets off the back of your post today..Ideal solution for my woodstore! Thanks for that blindingly obvious solution mate!

In answer to your question regarding nails...if you think about it...the pallet itself was designed to carry weight and be lifted by a forklift so nails should be fine in your shelf construction...

Bang the tip of the nail with a hammer to flatten it slightly (against some concrete)...this will help stop the splitting of the wood when you bang it in.

Some glue might help...ordinary PVA glue is cheap. Get nails at your local Toolstation or Screwfix...this is the cheapest way.

Good luck with your projects...excellent work!

You are a star mate!

Jim

I agree, a star and if yer mum's not proud then :twisted: :twisted: ?

The only thing I woudl do is put some cross bracing on the back so that it wont move sideways. Either that or fix it to the wall then it won't fall forward either! As far as sanding is concerned, well it's only in a shed. So unless the wood is VERY rough it isn't really needed is it?

Good luck!

jimi43":2vgszlnp said:
.....as you know i've never worked with wood before,
but am trying to make some storage in my mums metal shed for her to save her some money out of old pallets (free )....

You know GE....it wouldn't matter if your final work looked like a bunch of old tat (which is definitely does not)....the sentiment above says it all.

Your mother should be very proud of you my friend!

In fact...I went seeking old pallets off the back of your post today..Ideal solution for my woodstore! Thanks for that blindingly obvious solution mate!

In answer to your question regarding nails...if you think about it...the pallet itself was designed to carry weight and be lifted by a forklift so nails should be fine in your shelf construction...

Bang the tip of the nail with a hammer to flatten it slightly (against some concrete)...this will help stop the splitting of the wood when you bang it in.

Some glue might help...ordinary PVA glue is cheap. Get nails at your local Toolstation or Screwfix...this is the cheapest way.

Good luck with your projects...excellent work!

You are a star mate!

Jim

i allready do that my friend (i remember my grandfather showing me when i was younger r.i.p)

p.s you say you went looking for pallets so you could use at your woodstore????

im a lil shocked as i know nothing about wood at all, and i mean at all
wood is wood to me lol but i know theirs different types for diff jobs etc (way out of my league) like i said im a wood virgin (well except pallets now)

i would of thought pallets would of only been good for stuff in a garage etc
you say you own a shop (what will you make out of wood pallets)
ps what are wood pallets,cheap grade timber??? as i notice they rote easy and have litte tinny bugs on them alot???

he means to make a place to store his wood out of, not a "wood store" as in one that sells wood - generally known as a timber yard anyway.

Jonzjob":247f6ysj said:
I agree, a star and if yer mum's not proud then :twisted: :twisted: ?

The only thing I woudl do is put some cross bracing on the back so that it wont move sideways. Either that or fix it to the wall then it won't fall forward either! As far as sanding is concerned, well it's only in a shed. So unless the wood is VERY rough it isn't really needed is it?

Good luck!

hi their ma8,
yeah i was going to put a x on the back but im running low on pallets now
so i didnt bother ill see how they hold up as their not to wobberly
but if they get bad ill stick a x on them or just 1 diagional brace at the back

sound ok (ps im not young im 27)
but i have a wood knowledge of a 12 year old i say,
currently out of work so just keeping myself bussy and helping people at the moment,errrrrrrrrrr lol

big soft moose":2gb862v4 said:
he means to make a place to store his wood out of, not a "wood store" as in one that sells wood - generally known as a timber yard anyway.
lmfao omg puts hand on forehead and shakes head

so what do you think
should i carry on doing it this way????
build them and just put another on top (even though i get the ugly middle with the feet situation i dnt think it makes it use loads of space

i proberly would of done it different if the plankes were longer
(i dnt know how to extend wood so thats why i did it the way i have :( )

HI GE

Yes...my workshop is full to the roof with offcuts of "useful" or "valuable" wood which I just know I will use one day :wink: I put a covered shelter over the end of my wife's shed to store and air-dry wood for next year and it simply did not enter my head that the pallets I had in the garage would be ideal for such work.

I hope I didn't sound condescending in my praise or appraisal of your age...which is immaterial...I am 53 and still get the most pleasure making and fixing stuff for mine!

Cross bracing is a bit of a must here...you may not find it is wobbly but what could happen if you put weight on it is that at the critical point the sides try to move out of square. It's the same on a straight panel door.

Jim

jimi43":ri2p7x8o said:
HI GE

Yes...my workshop is full to the roof with offcuts of "useful" or "valuable" wood which I just know I will use one day :wink: I put a covered shelter over the end of my wife's shed to store and air-dry wood for next year and it simply did not enter my head that the pallets I had in the garage would be ideal for such work.

I hope I didn't sound condescending in my praise or appraisal of your age...which is immaterial...I am 53 and still get the most pleasure making and fixing stuff for mine!

Cross bracing is a bit of a must here...you may not find it is wobbly but what could happen if you put weight on it is that at the critical point the sides try to move out of square. It's the same on a straight panel door.

Jim

ok well ill keep a eye on them as i dnt have alot of wood yet at the mo
when i get more i can always knock them in,

ps take apart pallets this way as them annular nails are a lil bi*** to get out,this method works great (although harder for me)
the guy in the video has a small but amazingly good condition pallet

but this is the best method (although i do different at the end)

omg i just noticed the time (i havnt done anything today)

ima get changed and do some more right now

cya soon

Sorry to do this, but I can't stop myself...

The word you are looking for is "HAVE".

i.e. would HAVE, should HAVE.

There, I feel better now.

BTW, if pallets are what you have, use them. They are what my bench frame is made from.

Oh, and welcome.

Si.

big soft moose":3mvidjo3 said:
Greek Enigma":3mvidjo3 said:
im not young im 27

trust me you're young, i'm 37 and I'm still young so you must be, QED :lol:

qed?

and i think ill just carry on making them this way
and just make sure to put heaviest stuff at the bottom
and hope it holds up
i want to go out now and carry on,but england just wont stop raining :evil:

QED is something in Latin if I remember correctly GE?

Q.E.D. is an initialism of the Latin phrase quod erat demonstrandum, which means "that which was to be demonstrated".
The phrase is traditionally placed in its abbreviated form at the end of a mathematical proof or philosophical argument when that which was specified in the enunciation,
and in the setting-out, has been exactly restated as the conclusion of the demonstration.
The abbreviation thus signals the completion of the proof.

Any wiser GE?

Something I thought of is that when you put one unit on the top of another it's a good idea to fix them together with a couple of short planks screwed on so that they hold the 2 together. Then there is no chance that the top one will slip sideways and crash to the floor.

Don't worry about the language correction. I get that all the time with the way that I talk French and if I could write it as well as you do your English then I would be quite proud! But then, I am old, a pensioner, and I was never very good at learning something like a language!! :D :D

Back