Using Vac without a bag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got an old Tesco 1600w vacuum... using it with a £20 cyclone and a bin...
It’s the best thing I’ve used....sucks it all..nothing in the hoover bin ..so filter is always clean..,
Try it you won’t be sorry..,.i had to knock up a couple of adaptors but well worth effort

Interesting thread. I use a Henry. In fact I use two, both bought secondhand. He original one is used for cleaning down swarf from my (metal cutting) lathe, and, in honesty, the hoses are pretty disgusting, with oil contamination and so on. The second is used exclusively for wood/sawdust. I like to keep them separate because of the fire risk of hot metal swarf on sawdust. Plus the sawdust would clog up the hose on the metal one. Use bags in both.

I just bought a wet & dry vac from Lidl £30. Only came with one bag. Are the bags fairly generic? Could I use it for sawdust etc without the bag and just empty into bin?
Vacuuming has never been in my area of expertise!
Lidl do some times have the bags, the vacs do come as various brands

I had a couple of Trend vacs that I used without bags. It was recommended that you used a kind of pre filter that was available to go over the normal filter if you weren't using bags which I did. Both vacs failed quite quickly, don't know if this was down to not using bags or just the carp Trend extractors. I now always use bags in my extractors, if nothing else it saves the mess when emptying them.

Remember a filter also keeps the vacuum impellers clean as well. It's better to have one filter to stop anything getting into the impellers. There is the possibility that the exhaust is also used to cool the motor.
The only time I would use a vacuum without any filter is if it's a wet/dry, to save the filter. You have to watch for the liquid foaming, but you will soon know about it, lol. Happened to me when emptying a radiator and I sprayed the walls with ink black water! The anti foaming foam filter helps stops that problem.
I always recycle filters by cleaning with high pressure air. I even cut the bottom off my Nilfisk bag filters, but they are a breathable membrane type. I then reseal the bag with a clamp that allows me to empty the bag and clean it out. Typically the bag will last a year rather than a week.

Dust and rubbish will build up on the motor winding without a bog. This will cause the motor to overheat and melt the insulation on the copper, then fail.

Back