Using Pocket Holes for Panelled Doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making some Shaker style doors - each door has two panels.
Normally I use biscuit joints, glue, and clamp. However, I'm wondering whether there is any reason not to use Pocket Holes? The doors will be painted so I can plug the holes and paint over. One one hand there seems no reason not to. On the other...?

Cheers

Must admit, other than not having to clamp the joint, I'm struggling to see the benefit of pocket-holes here. Then again, I wouldn't use biscuits either...

Assuming you're routing a groove in the rails and stiles for the panel, why not just continue the groove the full length of the stile, around three sides of the top & bottom rail (and all four sides of the middle rail if you're using one) then use loose tongues the same thickness as the panel to bring it all together? That's what I do.

Cheers, Pete

petermillard":3u6m5jxc said:
Must admit, other than not having to clamp the joint, I'm struggling to see the benefit of pocket-holes here. Then again, I wouldn't use biscuits either...

Assuming you're routing a groove in the rails and stiles for the panel, why not just continue the groove the full length of the stile, around three sides of the top & bottom rail (and all four sides of the middle rail if you're using one) then use loose tongues the same thickness as the panel to bring it all together? That's what I do.

Cheers, Pete
+1

I have biscuit cutter and pocket hole jig but in this case I too would just extend the groove just as Pete says.

Baldhead

petermillard":3fuyuleb said:

Cheers, Pete

That's an excellent idea and, to be frank, I feel somewhat stupid for not spotting such a sensible option! So many times in the past I've stopped the groove etc - doh! :oops:

Back