Using a router on a wood lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Huxley

Established Member
Reaction score
A little late but happy New Year to every one.
I have a Trend T5 router and would like to use it on some of my turned items, I need to make or buy a jig to hold the router but have have not been able to find anything on any of the many web sites even a picture would help.
I have an Apollo Woodpecker lathe which has box section bed bars similar to the red and the later blue Myford.
I would be most grateful if any of you skilled turners could give me any idea's or information on a jig or holding device you might have seen or used please .
Many thanks Dave

Thanks for that Loz a great idea for off the lathe and looks easy to make may have a go at that but would still like to have a go on the lathe, have to wait for Richard to come to our club again to give us a demo on routing on a lathe, thanks again Loz.
Dave

Hi Dave...

Funny you should mention that because Routing on the lathe is one of my new demos (only performed twice before :wink: )

I use a Trend T4 because the base part comes off and it is easy to fix into a shop made jig. Instructions for this are in the woodturner's bible (Kieth Rowley's book) There are other methods you can use for "proper" routers which involve building some sort of boxing around the work piece. I have some pictures in a book, I will try and dig it out and scan it and try and post the picture up on here.

HTH

Richard

P.S, I'm not booked in at the Shropshire club but if you want to have a word with the secretary..... :wink: :lol:

I built a holder for my router so that it's lying parallel to the lathe bed. In theory this lets me use it on faceplate and spindle work but so far I've only used it on a bowl's face.
It's basically a large, wide L shape with a hole in the vertical for the tool to go through. Threaded holes in the base of the router allow me to bolt it to the board.
The whole contraption can then be moved about on a board that sits on the lathe bed.

I don't have any pictures so I'll try to dig it out and take one.

This is the only item I've used it on

Duncan

Nice work Duncan, I really like that one, the contrast between the sandblasted??/wirebrushed?? extreior and the smooth interior looks great. The routing has also added so much to the piece. Well done.

Cheers

Aled

Don't know if this is any help. I made a Jig to hold my little router. The base plate is set in to a piece of ply and then clamped.

022%20column.JPG

A bit heath robinson but it worked for a one off.

Many thanks Richard and Duncanh, I will get in the shed tomorrow Dancanh and have a go making a sled as you described, (If its not too cold) and will let you know how I get on. I may have to buy a smaller router just for this job as mine is a bit big and bulky.
I really like your work pieces and look forward to doing something different.
(I have PM'd Richard)
Thanks every one.
Dave

Thanks for the photo Agbagb thats really helpful really good of you to take the time, my ideas were over complicated this looks very simple and straight forward but very effective, all I have to do really is fit a wooden clamp to my bed bars insread of clamping to the table as you have done. Thanks so much for all your idea's and help.
Such a great forum I have picked up no end of great tips from you good people out there.
Thank again Dave

Back