Useful extra for Festool rail users

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumbrian

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The Howgills, between the Dales and the Lakes
I recently bit the bullet and bought a Festool Multi Function Table (special deal at the time, two free Sortainers, could sell those on EBAY, needed another rail - usual sops to the conscience).

Nice piece of kit, but the point of my post is simply to highlight one of the accessories that comes with it, which is the plastic gizmo that clamps to the end of the rail to act as a guide for the flex and extractor hose. I've found this really useful, particularly with regard to the hose which has a habit of snagging, and it is of course a standard accessory which will fit onto any rail.

I think it's about a tenner, which is marginally steep for a bit of plastic, but it does the job and worth considering for anyone who uses the Festool rails.

ps It takes a bit of finding on Festool's website, they call it a deflector FS-AW Here's a link to it at Healy's

Thanks Cumbrian, been wondering how to overcome that problem ever since I bought the rail.
Would have been more useful though if you'd posted last night as I left Healeys half an hour ago :)

Dom

The way to overcome the problem is to put up a hook and hang the pipe and cable from it. Knocks the socks off dragging it off the floor, even WITH a plastic guide.

DomValente":1efs9jb0 said:
Thanks Cumbrian, been wondering how to overcome that problem ever since I bought the rail.
Would have been more useful though if you'd posted last night as I left Healeys half an hour ago :)

Dom

Aaah - grovelling apologies. SWMBO was out last night and she's the only one who knows how to read the crystal ball and tea leaves. (No, she doesn't read this forum, although I'm a bit suspicious about the black cat that looks over my shoulder. I didn't know we had a cat....... 8-[ )

I reckon Roy's probably right about the hook - trouble is, I never seem to be able to use the same spot twice to work in. Now the boom arm thingy that Festool sell - hmmm. Makes a tenner for the plastic gizmo look like a real bargain!

The wire and hose getting hooked up on the Festool saw are a royal PIA in my opinion (can't you see they've let me loose with an AT55 recently?) and probably the one piece of bad design in the machine. Oddly enough my cr*ppy old Bosch plunge saw is actually better than the Festool in that department (albeit worse elsewhere)

cumbrian":32xvngol said:
Now the boom arm thingy that Festool sell - hmmm. Makes a tenner for the plastic gizmo look like a real bargain!
Yes. I'm currently looking at a way to produce a low-cost boom arm to replace the Festool device as we can't afford three of them!

Scrit

I recently bought all the kit ts55, midi vac, two rails etc etc etc and on the day of buying it someone on this forum said to get the hose deflector. I had not even thought of it but its a great idea because I can imagine the hose and cable wearing away without it.

I think Festool accessories are good value really for instance the rail connectors are about £8 each and you need 2 where as a Metabo saw I had was £30 for one rail connector and it was nowhere near the quality of the Festool ones.

Now you know about me and Festool, so it might come as a surprise to hear me say it, but I can't help thinking that this is a solution without a problem! But what's wrong with just hooking both the cable and the hose up onto your shoulder, just as you would when mowing the lawn, then nothing is dragging on anything.

That's the way I do it, and several people here can testify to having seen it working perfectly.

Scrit":29c1hzbh said:
I'm playing with {a domino} as well
Nurse! NURSE!

S

Steve Maskery":2iy3fzih said:
But what's wrong with just hooking both the cable and the hose up onto your shoulder, just as you would when mowing the lawn, then nothing is dragging on anything.

And where's the fun in that, when Festool do a gizmo so you don't have to?

I have the boom - it is pricy but worth every penny IMO.

There was a problem with the nylon bush joining the two upright sections but Festool replaced mine FOC with an aluminium turning.

I found the keeping the hose on my shoulder trick too much of a pain and I ended up thinking more about where the hose was than the cutting.

Cheers

Tim

Steve Maskery":390rdxzm said:
Scrit":390rdxzm said:
I'm playing with {a domino} as well
Nurse! NURSE!
That doesn't mean to say it can or will replace a conventional mortiser (it won't), or even a biscuit jointer (ditto). So don't get your hopes up

Scrit

About four months ago, I posted a review of the Festool Boom Arm on the Festool Owners Group forum: http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=324.0. The review has a bunch of pics and a many posts from other users with questions and feedback. It also includes one post from a user who lives on your side of the pond who created a boom arm from some wood and a Triton multi stand.

It's a bit pricey, but worth ever cent.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., here's a quote from my review:

So all day yesterday (I took Friday off) and today I worked on the bathroom, cleaning, straightening up, installing sheet rock, all sorts of mundane things. I didn't think about the Boom Arm much. Or the CT22! Or cleaning up! And that's the point...

They all faded into the background! My work space got easier to work with. Messes were much easier to clean up. No more tripping on or fooling with hoses and cords! My work space got cleaner. The work was easier. And all I did with it was to use it as a vacuum. I haven't even had the opportunity to use it as a DC!

It's not that I get a massive emotional charge out of the Boom Arm. I don't say, "Wow, what a tool!" It's just that it makes my life easier.

Latest posts

Back