Using routers with festool rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been seriously considering a tracksaw and extractor purchase of late with some of the deals I've seen, I'm starting to catch up on the household jobs (all 1.2 million of them #-o ) which means the kitchen rebuild is getting closer - which means I have cabinets to make etc etc
Should I take the plunge (no pun intended) I would like to use my trend T9 for cutting housings with the festool rail, do festool make any sort of adaptor plates/kits for using non festool routers with their rails or will I have to make something up myself?

Also... Any router bits better for cutting housings in veneered mdf than the standard 2 flute bits?

Cheers.

No skills":2ta9uf79 said:
Hi all,

Been seriously considering a tracksaw and extractor purchase of late with some of the deals I've seen, I'm starting to catch up on the household jobs (all 1.2 million of them #-o ) which means the kitchen rebuild is getting closer - which means I have cabinets to make etc etc
Should I take the plunge (no pun intended) I would like to use my trend T9 for cutting housings with the festool rail, do festool make any sort of adaptor plates/kits for using non festool routers with their rails or will I have to make something up myself?

Also... Any router bits better for cutting housings in veneered mdf than the standard 2 flute bits?

Cheers.

I did just that. But I also invested in the Festool Parallel Guide Rail System to go with the track-saw.

It's the nearest I can come to a good table saw; for which I don't have the space. The set-up has to be used outside of course, but at least it's a way around the problem.

HTH
:D

Just looked up and watched a video of the parallel guide system, pretty cool. Found the bits that festool routers use to ride the rail, might see if they will fit my trend - if not I might be able to make a sub-base adaptor of some sort.

Very interesting.

I've got a Festool track saw and it's great, glue ready cuts. Am planning to build a Paulk 'Ultimate' bench and crosscut cut jig to compliment it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnNi6Tpp-ac

As to dust extraction, I'm finding that a Henry vac is ok with the Festool saw and also the RO150 sander. I once broke down an 8 x 4 sheet of ply on the living room floor and there was no cleaning up to do.

Haven't seen one but fwir, Lidl do a 'shopvac' type vacuum for ~£40. Has a blow outlet and a socket to plug your tool into so the vac starts automatically.

John51":pmhlznp5 said:
I've got a Festool track saw and it's great, glue ready cuts. Am planning to build a Paulk 'Ultimate' bench and crosscut cut jig to compliment it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnNi6Tpp-ac

As to dust extraction, I'm finding that a Henry vac is ok with the Festool saw and also the RO150 sander. I once broke down an 8 x 4 sheet of ply on the living room floor and there was no cleaning up to do.

Haven't seen one but fwir, Lidl do a 'shopvac' type vacuum for ~£40. Has a blow outlet and a socket to plug your tool into so the vac starts automatically.

John,

Lucky you if you have the same amount of space as Paulk!

I have the space... Outside on the drive! Not ideal...
How about a WIP when you start?

:D

John51":q9hrmexm said:
I once broke down an 8 x 4 sheet of ply on the living room floor and there was no cleaning up to do.

Brave. You must have balls the size of footballs to even contemplate it

Oh the wife thing. No problem here, single bed in small bedroom and no TV. The only women that show interest in me are skinny and have an alternative sense of reality. (Bless 'em.) I read of an American contractor that did this over an antique carpet with the lady of the house watching nervously. :) (Heavy rain and nowhere else to break down the sheets.)

Don't we all wish we had space like Ron Paulk?

My workshop is the largest bedroom, 12 foot by 7, or 12 by 8 if you count the bay window. I've also got a cellar, 20 foot by 12 but not all usable due a chest high soil pipe. That's where my Shopsmith is at the mo, lots of fun getting that through the 2 foot by 2 trapdoor and down the ladder. lol

To the OP, imo getting Festools is a great investment as they are a joy to use. Dust collection is an integral part of the design and it's little features like the spring loaded plastic inside the motor brushes that will break free and stop the motor rather than have brass rubbing on the commutator when the brushes need to be replaced.

No skills":3ku2nhqw said:
Just looked up and watched a video of the parallel guide system, pretty cool. Found the bits that festool routers use to ride the rail, might see if they will fit my trend - if not I might be able to make a sub-base adaptor of some sort.

Very interesting.

Did the trend fit the festool guide rail adaptor? I have an elu mof 96 e and it would be great if I could use it with the festool guide rails.

Charlie

I've skinted myself with the saw investment atm (and have other commitments/jobs) so no further progress on this - at a push I was going to bodge something up using the jigsaw guide rail adaptor which is about £14 - I belive the festool router adaptors are different for different models of their router, was going to look at the of2200 (?) adaptor as that's the bigger model. Obviously using that adapted jigsaw bit wouldn't give any fine adjustment that the proper bits would (but would prolly be quite like the trend clamp n guide stuff).

HTH

John51":l58m4bb4 said:
Oh the wife thing. No problem here, single bed in small bedroom and no TV. The only women that show interest in me are skinny and have an alternative sense of reality. (Bless 'em.) I read of an American contractor that did this over an antique carpet with the lady of the house watching nervously. :) (Heavy rain and nowhere else to break down the sheets.)

Don't we all wish we had space like Ron Paulk?

My workshop is the largest bedroom, 12 foot by 7, or 12 by 8 if you count the bay window. I've also got a cellar, 20 foot by 12 but not all usable due a chest high soil pipe. That's where my Shopsmith is at the mo, lots of fun getting that through the 2 foot by 2 trapdoor and down the ladder. lol

To the OP, imo getting Festools is a great investment as they are a joy to use. Dust collection is an integral part of the design and it's little features like the spring loaded plastic inside the motor brushes that will break free and stop the motor rather than have brass rubbing on the commutator when the brushes need to be replaced.

John,

Had to do a similar thing, with Nigerian Golden Walnut faced 8x4s. I chose the yard outside, (Just big enough). The boards were placed on two-by-twos. All I had was a tenon saw ... Honest. Oh that I could kneel down again like that; although I'd use the track-saw of course! (Festool yes.) :lol:

Back