Used P/T Combo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm in the market for a used planer/thicknesser (or jointer/planer if you prefer). I've currently got a benchtop 6" planer which I don't like. Mostly because it's impossible to lift out from under the bench without grabbing the tables and that immediately affects the setup. I don't have a thicknesser.

I'm looking at the sub-£500 category. Some options that have come up near me are:
  1. Axminster AW106PT2
  2. Axminster AW128PT
  3. Kity 637
  4. Scheppach HMS2600CI
  5. Scheppach HMS260
I am worried about getting spares for any of these machines in the future.
I am happy (to some degree) to fettle a machine when I first get it but then would like it to be easy to use afterwards.
I do not need the extra capacity of say the AW128PT but I suppose it would be nice, i.e. size is not that important.
More important to me is value for money. I am looking for the machine that has the most respect, is therefore most likely to give me a decent introduction to a mchine of this type, and is more likely to hold value if I decide to move it on.

Does anyone have any comments or recommendations?

Kind Regards,
Robbo.

The Kity is a good machine - but there are no spares for it, although blades are available. Don't know about the others.

It's not entirely correct to say that there are no spares avaiable for a Kity planer. Yes, blades can be got, but so can drive belts. Also bearings are generic items and freely available.

They're all basically simple machines and the only parts you are going to need are blades which are readily available from aftermarket suppliers. There is the remote chance that bearings may be required but they will be standard items.
Brian

You might want to add the Elektra Beckum ( Metabo) HC260 to your list. It hasn't changed a lot in design over the years, so new parts still fit the older models. New they are just over £ 600 quid , so s/h they should fit your budget. Can't speak for the Metabo livery models but the old Elektra Beckum is a robust long lived machine, and much copied by other manufacturers.

There's a nice Kity 638 in Brum if you can get up there. Only 3 days left. Could be a good buy.
Brian
The link you have there is for an Axminster AW128PT but I've found the Kity 128 you're referring to. I notice that it has a cylindrial red plug attached. Isn't that for 3-phase?
Ideally I'm looking for a single phase machine. I would travel as far as Brum for the right machine though.

You might want to add the Elektra Beckum ( Metabo) HC260 to your list. It hasn't changed a lot in design over the years, so new parts still fit the older models. New they are just over £ 600 quid , so s/h they should fit your budget. Can't speak for the Metabo livery models but the old Elektra Beckum is a robust long lived machine, and much copied by other manufacturers.
Yes, I think that one would do too.

Kind Regards,
Robbo.

The link you have there is for an Axminster AW128PT but I've found the Kity 128 you're referring to. I notice that it has a cylindrial red plug attached. Isn't that for 3-phase?
Ideally I'm looking for a single phase machine. I would travel as far as Brum for the right machine though.

Yes, I think that one would do too.

Kind Regards,
Robbo.
Sorry about the wrong link. The Kity 638 I'm looking at doesn't have a plug on view, just a grey cable disappearing out out of sight. No mention of voltage in the description but you'd need to check.
Brian

I have a Scheppach HMS2600CI and it's pretty good, heavy as flip. I'd love to know where to get spares from though. If it's a complete machine though it seems to be built like a tank, only thing missing on mine is the arm for the planer gaurd (I just slide the fence all the way over to avoid working over a spinnin g blade).

Latest posts

Back