use of record 044 plane for grooves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My first project using this plane involves creating a 1/4" groove in stiles and rails for a cupboard door.

I started at the far end of the stock, not taking an excessive shaving per pass but still found it difficult to keep the plane absolutely square to the side of the stock. Net result was a groove on a slight angle and a bit wider at the top.

I was able to make a door but had some extra planing to lose the twists in the stiles.

Any guidance to the knack for getting more accurate grooves would be appreciated (or will this just be something that only improves with lots and lots of practice)?

Col

Try adding a deeper wooden fence onto the metal fence, using the screw holes provided for the purpose.
Also, find a candle and use it to scribble over all the surfaces of the plane (and fence) which will touch the wood - that makes it much easier.

AndyT":1yfudjw2 said:
Try adding a deeper wooden fence onto the metal fence, using the screw holes provided for the purpose.
Also, find a candle and use it to scribble over all the surfaces of the plane (and fence) which will touch the wood - that makes it much easier.

Andy - thanks for that - I'll try them out ... Col

Col":1gwwj58j said:
Hi,

My first project using this plane involves creating a 1/4" groove in stiles and rails for a cupboard door.

I started at the far end of the stock, not taking an excessive shaving per pass but still found it difficult to keep the plane absolutely square to the side of the stock. Net result was a groove on a slight angle and a bit wider at the top.

I was able to make a door but had some extra planing to lose the twists in the stiles.

Any guidance to the knack for getting more accurate grooves would be appreciated (or will this just be something that only improves with lots and lots of practice)?

Col

Here's some helpful stuff:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/combihow.html

BugBear

Col

One of the downsides of the 044 (and several other similar planes) is that there is only one skate to act as the sole of the plane and (unlike the old wooden ploughs) it's off to one side. So the tool is quite likely to lean over a bit, as you have found. The other usual advice that I forgot to add is that the right hand should only push and the left hand only steer.

Hi Col

Whether you are planing a rebate or a groove, the easiest way to ensure that you obtain square edges is to add a wider and longer fence to the plane, set the edge of the board against the side of the bench, and then use the side as a guide for the fence ...

VeritasJackRabbetPlane_html_20cfce5a.jpg

VeritasJackRabbetPlane_html_m672b865b.jpg

Another way is to use a sticking board.

I've just uploaded an article to my website for an adjustable version of this. In this I demonstrate grooving really tiny drawer pieces. If you can get accurate results on these, you can get accurate results on anything! :)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Board.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Some very useful advice on those posts above.. Thanks.

Another four weeks and I am going to try using those tips.

ac445ab":1v1bgqez said:
Hi,
I just did a video (subtitles in English) using my Record 044. It is my preferred tool for grooving.

http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.it/2 ... -hand.html

Hope this helps
Ciao
Giuliano :D

Guilano - enjoyed the video - I wish I'd seen it before my first attempt! Also, I was very impressed with your collection of planes in the introduction! ... Col

Another way is to use a sticking board.

I've just uploaded an article to my website for an adjustable version of this. In this I demonstrate grooving really tiny drawer pieces. If you can get accurate results on these, you can get accurate results on anything! :)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Board.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - I've added the extra deep fence and it has helped considerably. I'll remember your link for a shooting board since I'm sure I'll need one soon! ... Thanks, Colin

thanks to everyone for the hints and tips.

I have just finished grooving my second door (over 6 metres of 1/4" groove for the stiles and rails of a full height wardrobe door) and the results are significantly better as you can see from the photo :
groove.jpg

Col

Attachments

• groove.jpg
    groove.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,104
Back