Use of lacewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been given some lacewood bowl blanks. I’ve never turned this wood before, so I looked it up on the Wood Data base to see what its working properties are. For example, it is said to blunt tools easily.There were, however, quite a number of users who reported some allergic reactions (rashes etc), but a couple of them reported extreme toxicity problems. They had to go so far as to deep clean their workshops and tools, with one of them having to burn down his shed!
These are probably not representative, but does anyone have any problems with lacewood., or advice for its use?
D

London Plane. It's only really lacewood in its quarter sawn state. It's an Acer, I can't imagine there'd be any problem. Lovely stuff.

DSC02184.JPG

Lacewood is a vague name applied to several different species. As Phil says London Plane is lovely timber to work with and should cause no problems. The name is also used for Roupala species and it is these exotics that may cause problems if you are allergic to them.
First determine exactly what you have then treat it accordingly. I must say that burning down the workshop does seem a tad extreme!

I've recently used a small spindle blank of London Plane. Small pedestel clock and a box for rings. Good to work with, nice finish (this being sanding sealer plus wax) photos dont really do it justice. Seemed a bit dusty on light cuts but no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20221002_162611.jpg
    IMG_20221002_162611.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221002_162559.jpg
    IMG_20221002_162559.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220918_175548_edit_762297273623264.jpg
    IMG_20220918_175548_edit_762297273623264.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for your input, Richard. Two really nice projects using London Plane wood.
Given Bob’s comments, I thought I should check with my source for the lacewood blanks. He told me that they are all Roupala. Bit of a quandary now. To turn, or not to turn? That is the question.

That’s a shame but the bottom line is that they are only bits of wood. It seems that Roupala affects some people but not others (I’ve turned it myself with no ill effect) but for those who are susceptible the effects can be devastating. Is it worth the risk? It’s only a bit of wood. There are plenty of other species to try.

Is there a place online where I can buy some cheap london plane?
Looked for it a while ago and had no luck.

Is there a place online where I can buy some cheap london plane?
Hello, I'm a London Plane tree. When I saw your words 'cheap' and 'online' in connection with my wood, I could feel my roots curling ...

It's a street tree and there are also many single specimen trees on estates up & down the land, but it isn't grown in stands and the wood isn't a stock item. It's the kind of wood that you grab when you see some, more ...

Cheap doesn't mean bad. Olive can be sourced cheap as chips and I love the stuff. I've been able to pick up cheap IRW, cuban mahogany, figured walnut at times.

Oh, I see what you mean ... but I must admit that unless it's predictable run-of-the-mill stuff I like to have a piece of wood in the hand before paying for it ... :)

London Plane. It's only really lacewood in its quarter sawn state. It's an Acer, I can't imagine there'd be any problem. Lovely stuff.

View attachment 144675
Very nice pen Phil.

Still haven't got round (pun intended) to using the blanks you very kindly gave me for Christmas. They deserve decent pen kits..of which, I have none at the moment.

Latest posts

Back