Urgent - finish to apply over paint?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just done a little project with the children where they have sponged washable paint (which will apparently not come out from porous surfaces like wood which is good) over an unfinished wooden bowl. I want to seal in the paint and give a slightly smoother finish to it. I was expecting to be able to use something like Chestnut Hard Wax oil however reading the tin it says to only use on unsealed wood.

Can I still use the Oil or will it get annoyed with the water based paint finish? If not what can I use?

Many thanks

Miles
PS this is urgent as I need an answer before we go back into the garage tomorrow to finish off the present for their Mother :) Due to the urgency I'm cross posting to the turning, general and finishing boards so I apologise in advance :)

Allen

I do - but I'm a bit wary of it after the poor finish I achieved on the platter this month. I'll revisit Chas' comments and see if I can pluck up the courage to have another go however I'm open to any other ideas! :)

Miles

I used it on my candlestick , kept the spray can about 12 Inches away from the work and with the lathe rotating slowly traversed along the candlestick
giving a even coat

Dried it on the lathe with a halogen heater , then gave it another coat

Dried OK and a lovely gloss

hope you get it sorted

or mothers day will be :oops:

Given this is a bowl I guess just spray stationary? I don't have a halogen heater so I guess I've just got to wait a while. How long did you actually spray for in any given spot do you think?
Miles

I started at the top and with the lathe rotating slowly moved down the candlestick

If I were spraying a bowl I would start spraying at the center with the lathe running slowly and work to the outside rim , keep the spray about 12 " away and keep it moving

Thanks for that Allen. How long did it take to go from one end of you 8" candle stick to the other (to get an idea of the loading that worked for you)?

Miles

ok did it - wasn't a huge success but after 3 coats was able to buff some of roughness out; no longer feels like ultra fine sand just bumpy where the paint is. The exposed wood in the centre can't be buffed as I don't have a wheel which can get in there. We'll have to live with it till I get a tiny buffing wheel.

More practice needed obviously :(

Miles

miles_hot":b99lig8a said:
ok did it - wasn't a huge success but after 3 coats was able to buff some of roughness out; no longer feels like ultra fine sand just bumpy where the paint is. The exposed wood in the centre can't be buffed as I don't have a wheel which can get in there. We'll have to live with it till I get a tiny buffing wheel.

More practice needed obviously :(

Miles
Miles

Why buff it ?

It should leave a shiny finish straight out of the can

2 / 3 light coats should give a very good finish

Can you post a photo of the item

Allen

I will post some pictures in a while when bed time is over :)

I put 3 coats on the bowls and 4 on the test pieces - all ended up with the slightly gritty feeling which I knocked off with the buffing. I know it shouldn't do that, but it did and this is the second time (not as bad this time as before) so I know it's user error but I just need to work out what I'm messing up.

Miles

Latest posts

Back