"upcycled" radio lamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for the car seat covers, only 4 quid and he might throw in a bag of nuts/sweets/slug pellets.

funny you linked to that as I am sure I saw that lamp for sale at a local craft market that was held on the high street of my local village (Stalham, Norfolk) some time ago and I thought at the time it looked carp.

and check out this I found on e-bay !!.............

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&u...ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCLCk3qPBs_wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ
I can never tell who is sadder, those that make them or those that buy them?

Last edited:
I'd buy it if it still worked as a radio as well as a lamp, then you get double the features for your money.

This is a serious question. Would you prefer the plane be tossed into the skip or converted into something that someone might buy and enjoy?

The reason I ask is several years ago I helped my neighbor clear out his late father's house and sheds. Some of the things we found were boxes of old cabinet making tools that appeared to be complete and in fair condition. He later found out the tools belonged to his grandfather and his father inherited them. He never knew his grandfather and had never seen the tools, so there was no emotional attachment to them.

Initially, he wanted to keep some of the more interesting tools, which included three large wooden jointer planes, three or four smaller wooden try planes, and over three dozen moulding planes. He later realized he didn't have any place to store them and they had to go. He listed them on eBay Kleinanzeigen (similar to Gumtree) for several months at €1 each, but no one was interested. Then he put them on a pallet outside his office with a "Gratis" sign (free). Someone dumped the planes and took the pallet.

In the end, he had to make a final "trash or treasure" decision. The planes were stripped of the metal and went into the scrap wood bin at the recycling center. They were likely fed to the incinerator, as is the fate of most scrap wood.

I don't think he would have minded if someone took the planes and made wall sconces, coat racks, or any other upcycled kitsch, but it was clear that no one was interested in using them as woodworking tools.

This is a serious question. Would you prefer the plane be tossed into the skip or converted into something that someone might buy and enjoy?

The reason I ask is several years ago I helped my neighbor clear out his late father's house and sheds. Some of the things we found were boxes of old cabinet making tools that appeared to be complete and in fair condition. He later found out the tools belonged to his grandfather and his father inherited them. He never knew his grandfather and had never seen the tools, so there was no emotional attachment to them.

Initially, he wanted to keep some of the more interesting tools, which included three large wooden jointer planes, three or four smaller wooden try planes, and over three dozen moulding planes. He later realized he didn't have any place to store them and they had to go. He listed them on eBay Kleinanzeigen (similar to Gumtree) for several months at €1 each, but no one was interested. Then he put them on a pallet outside his office with a "Gratis" sign (free). Someone dumped the planes and took the pallet.

In the end, he had to make a final "trash or treasure" decision. The planes were stripped of the metal and went into the scrap wood bin at the recycling center. They were likely fed to the incinerator, as is the fate of most scrap wood.

I don't think he would have minded if someone took the planes and made wall sconces, coat racks, or any other upcycled kitsch, but it was clear that no one was interested in using them as woodworking tools.
My post was tongue in cheek. I’ve no issue with people giving things another life. Your story must be familiar to many.

I know I'm a 'horder' - though seldom of tools - and that story does make me feel so very sad :cry:

I don't confuse cost and value, but some of my friends struggle to separate the two when deciding how to settle estates or clear out junk treasures.
A bit like the epidemic of many not being able to distinguish between wants and needs.

The story is saddening for me and reminds of of something I was told years ago:

A old man was not too long for this world and his family\friends gathered around. On the whole - the main estate\chattels, where and to whom they were going to, was a done deal, but folk were able to say their goodbyes.

At the end, the old man took the wrap\scarf (in that part of the world they are still worn) off his shoulder and handed it to his favourite son. Man passed away and was buried.

Some weeks later - another old man, a dear friend of the deceased was sat on a small wall at the edge of the village, when a bus pulled up, with somewhat of a cloud of dust and passengers disembarked.

The "favourite" son was one of them and walked towards the village (and his home). As he passed by the wall and his late father's friend, he stopped to exchange pleasantries.

Within a few minutes of stopping to talk, the son took the scarf from his own shoulder (his late father's scarf), put one foot up on the low wall and hit the shoe with the scarf - to get rid of the dust.

The old man sat on the wall - his late father's friend - asked him what on earth he was doing with his late father's scarf.

The response was - "Old man, these shoes cost me 3000 rupees and I saved up for them. This scarf cost me nothing!"

I've never forgotten the story.

And in the same vein as my original post................................... £45
317718157_5794790090615399_437754187575611056_n.jpg

Back