Union Graduate motor removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - anybody. My recently acquired Union Graduate has packed in with the motor blowing fuses. I am trying to remove the motor but without success. The thread already on here doesn't seem to make sense compared to what I have. Eg - the motor slides out - no way!!!
Any clues or videos anybody???
Thanks Paul

It's been a while since I did one, but yes, obviously it does come out and it's a total pig of a job because it's so tight.
I think when I dismantled, I am 95% sure I unbolted the motor from the plate while it was inside, then pulled out the plate, then maneouvered the motor out.
There was twisting and tilting involved, it sure isn't a simple slide out. It's an awkward reach in and you are supporting quite a weight of motor while you do it.

On the reassembly I maybe figured it better and was able to do it with the motor already bolted to the plate. Better when you can figure this out because reaching the 2 of 4 motor mounting bolts the furthest in while the motor is still inside is a horrid job, loosening or tightening.

My photos, if I have any are buried and I won't be able to help anytime soon. Sorry.

But notwithstanding this, it was interesting to find that by making a custom bracket, the very smallest compact WEG variable frequency drive can be squeezed inside the head casting, behind the plate that sits (i think) just below the motor.

It’s a pig to do and loosen/tighten bolts etc

I changed mine over to variable speed motor from my Jubilee, found it helped to lay it on its side and work form underneath with the tapped bolts etc especially the bolts furthest form access hatch

The jubilee motor had a cowling, this clashed with inside of housing so had to offset a tiny bit to get to fit - no pictures I’m afraid

Hope that’s of help - good luck

Its best done with two people, I have done it in my own with a bit of swearing! First remove the belt tensioner system. You just unscrew the centre adjuster, the handle and bit into the motor plate then just pull out, they are not secured by a grub screw.
IMG_2045.jpeg

Next there is a locking collar on the shaft that holds the motor platform. You release the grub screw. There is also a grub screw to release in the motor platform body, you can see both in the photo.
IMG_2046.jpeg

Next you release a grub screw on the side of the headstock, it’s in a recess at the bottom next to where the shaft comes out, often with a nut on it.
IMG_2036.jpeg

Last, you tap the rod out from the side with the access cover. In the photo above you tap on the right and the rod comes out of the hole next to the locking screw. It will not come out the other way!
No matter how you try, the motor and plate will not come out of the access hatch, they come out if the bottom. Yoi have to tip over the lathe!

I thought @Sideways and I had done a thread on refurbishing one of these, but can’t find it. I’ve done a few, nice lattes, I own one myself.

Hi - anybody. My recently acquired Union Graduate has packed in with the motor blowing fuses. I am trying to remove the motor but without success. The thread already on here doesn't seem to make sense compared to what I have. Eg - the motor slides out - no way!!!
Any clues or videos anybody???
Thanks Paul
I've overhauled two of these...and don't remember a particular issue. I'll have a look at the one I still have tomorrow. Is the issue that you can't get at the bolts? I vaguely recall having to lie the main housing on its die so I could go from underneath as well as the "official" port

I thought @Sideways and I had done a thread on refurbishing one of these, but can’t find it. I’ve done a few, nice lathes, I own one myself.
@deema had done some of these before the last one which we did together a few years ago
Being new to them, I stuggled and cursed and eventually got the motor off the platform and out the hatch while @deema worked on something else.
That was probably the point where he noticed and explained that I should have laid it down. Also explains why I remember the refit being a lot easier than how I took it apart :)

We never got around to the write up.

Back