Fobco drill press clean up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Reaction score
Hi there - I have joined this forum for one main reason... I have inherited my Father's FOBCO drill press, and I noticed people posting on this subject.
The drill is working fine, but I decided to give it polish and paint. Easier said that done. The table doesn't slide up and down easily, and I made the mistake already of soaking the Chuck in vinegar which only served to stiffen it up (probably because I then let it sit for few days rather than CRC ing).
I've finally managed to get hat moving again, although still not as good as it was before :(. I have taken an angle grinder with fine sandpaper to the shaft and am slowly buffing that back.
I watched a video of someone dismantling every piece of the machine.. which is NOT what I want to do - but to be able to paint it nicely, I need to take the motor off. The motor has a shaft that goes through the back (spindle?) not sure what it is called. How best shall I remove that spindle? Could I knock through the shaft itself (making sure I've undone the side bolts that attached the motor). Or would that risk damaging the motor? The video showed someone prising this upwards but it looked very precarious.
Any tips would be much appreciated. Cheers. Jill

Hi there - I have joined this forum for one main reason... I have inherited my Father's FOBCO drill press, and I noticed people posting on this subject.
The drill is working fine, but I decided to give it polish and paint. Easier said that done. The table doesn't slide up and down easily, and I made the mistake already of soaking the Chuck in vinegar which only served to stiffen it up (probably because I then let it sit for few days rather than CRC ing).
I've finally managed to get hat moving again, although still not as good as it was before :(. I have taken an angle grinder with fine sandpaper to the shaft and am slowly buffing that back.
I watched a video of someone dismantling every piece of the machine.. which is NOT what I want to do - but to be able to paint it nicely, I need to take the motor off. The motor has a shaft that goes through the back (spindle?) not sure what it is called. How best shall I remove that spindle? Could I knock through the shaft itself (making sure I've undone the side bolts that attached the motor). Or would that risk damaging the motor? The video showed someone prising this upwards but it looked very precarious.

I am not familiar with FOBCO, but am currently re-vamping my Strands geared head drill press. I totally re-built this 30 years ago.
If you post a couple of pics, I may be able to help you through the process

Some pics... the drill came crashing down to the table today, so it is not stuck anymore! But too heavy to push back up.. meanwhile I have been stripping the paint. Trying to decide whether to take the engine off so I can paint behind, but that means removal of the back spindle (?) which is difficult to do without help.

Attachments

• IMG-4981-sm.jpg
    IMG-4981-sm.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4980.-smjpg.jpg
    IMG-4980.-smjpg.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4979-sm.jpg
    IMG-4979-sm.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4978-sm.jpg
    IMG-4978-sm.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4977-sm.jpg
    IMG-4977-sm.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4972-sm.jpg
    IMG-4972-sm.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4950-sm.jpg
    IMG-4950-sm.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
This seems to be split into two threads, the other here It might be better to shut this one down otherwise it will get very confusing 😁

I'm had a look and can't see how to shut it down - other to say - please go to other thread everyone!

Back