Unidentified Bird Call?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm puzzled by a call I often hear coming from one of the hedges surrounding my garden. Up until a few days ago I seem to have misidentified it, as one of those contented sounds that my chickens make inside their hut. However, as we are now down to our last chicken, and I was stood beside it the other day when I heard the sound coming from the hedge. - this cannot be the case.

And, what is the sound? Well, I can only describe it as a "Blonk" It starts softly and ends on a slightly louder higher note. I can mimic the call fairly well and the read-out on my tuner tells me the note is possibly an F# ( I know - I should get out more) :giggle:

The call seems to happen in bursts of one or two, but it has now got me puzzled as I've been trying to identify it on t'internet for a few days now, with no success.

Last edited:
A Pheasant?
Possibly..............I'm fairly clued up on the usual sound pheasants make. It was one of the ones I first looked into without being able to confirm it. Some birds do have other calls. there is one the chaffinch makes around the time of rain

A trailcam might be of interest.
There's ones for the 30 to 50 range which are a plenty.
I guess they would be very cheaply got used.
Seems a good idea for someone keeping chickens.
(you might be very surprised at to the amount of visitors)
Fella by the name Pondguru has some good videos on YT.
All the best

Last edited:
I'd say pheasant, they tend to 'hide' in hedgerows etc.. Got a couple in the old school playing field of 25 yrs ago , the other side of my boundary fence, now reclaimed by nature, often "blonking" & doing low passes. Plenty of under growth, bushes & trees all self-seeded.

I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's son. I'm only plucking pheasants 'til the pheasant plucker comes.

Repeat quickly.
Try the one about "Old Mrs Rutter" ( she has a rough cut Punt) :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Back