Unfinished extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingy man

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me to have a look at some staining on his extension ( about 2.5 years old ) when I asked him the question- why didn’t the builder complete the work he replied- but he has finished. Well it’s not difficult to work out why the brickwork is getting stained, I’m surprised he’s not been invaded by every insect and rodent in Nottingham ..

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1526.jpeg
    IMG_1526.jpeg
  • IMG_1525.jpeg
    IMG_1525.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
  • IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
so w I p so far after travel to Nottingham- removed the hanging rags as rotten , fixed 2x2 to joists to avoid fixing into end grain, new facia,s fitted all round and holes filled , will prime tomorrow and fit guttering.

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpeg
    IMG_1537.jpeg
  • IMG_1540.jpeg
    IMG_1540.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
  • IMG_1538.jpeg
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
Surely he must have realised the guttering is missing if nothing else.
He’s not the sharpest chisel in the box that’s for sure , he paid them upfront and literally left them to it . I was amazed that he didn’t pick the guttering up but unfortunately he’s absolutely clueless.

Having spent the night in Nottingham I managed to get most of the work done , the boards under the canopy still need sealing and the end of the roof will need pointing but I’ve had to use expanding foam to act as a temporary seal and as something to push when I point it up next visit. Not saying it’s perfect but definitely an improvement.

I send a couple of the front of extension but my mate will take and send me because it was 10 pm s was when I finished and forgot to take them ..

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1558.jpeg
    IMG_1558.jpeg
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
The lack of gutters, fascia, pointing could just about be described as technical details with which he might not be familiar.

But bits of roofing underlay (or whatever it is called) untrimmed and hanging off the side is not a common feature of finished buildings - it is a matter of very simple observation.

You're a good man to sort all that for him so quickly.

I hope there's no other hidden problems. Hopefully the bloke only left a couple of days early without finishing the final parts.

I’m not exactly sure what happened but I’m guessing it’s a mix of the contractor falling out with the client. The client does not / won’t confront a tradesman if he doesn’t know him personally, he was also not present and left them to simply get on with it- multiple issues eg £650 to run a cold water supply from upstairs to an island when the original cold water supply was just behind the wall - original sink position, £3.500 to raise the garage floor level upto the same height as the kitchen extension but they didn’t include the original kitchen floor into the equation ( original floor was approximately 10 mm higher than the others , external door and window frames not sealed leaving insulation exposed to name but a few . He’s a good friend but very gullible and has o diy or building experience and is lacking in the common sense department..the roof timbers are all twisted so I suspect that he didn’t use noggins or the timber was soaking wet when installed.

You're a good man to sort all that for him so quickly.

I hope there's no other hidden problems. Hopefully the bloke only left a couple of days early without finishing the final parts.
Thanks - I think and hope I’ve got to it before any serious problems arise- the timbers are water stained but no rot, bit concerning how some of the timbers were twisting but not much I can do about that. Hopefully the fascia,s will help to stabilise any movement.

So presumably the extension has never been signed off by building control, something to point out to your friend if he ever intends selling the place

So presumably the extension has never been signed off by building control, something to point out to your friend if he ever intends selling the place
I’m not sure tbh but I’d not want to assume anything, I’m happy to help him out of a situation but I don’t think he knows what building control is . I think he took on too much and quickly found himself out of his depth and as such- an easy target for rouge traders/ cowboy builders etc -they literally saw him coming..

The builder probably said it wasn't necessary.
And he would have accepted that and not even questioned it . The shower room wet room has no drains or soil pipe so that probably says it all . He thinks he’s going to have a working 2nd shower/ wet room in a couple of days but in reality it’s a 3-4 day job just to dig the trench for the drain ..

I’m not sure tbh but I’d not want to assume anything, I’m happy to help him out of a situation but I don’t think he knows what building control is . I think he took on too much and quickly found himself out of his depth and as such- an easy target for rouge traders/ cowboy builders etc -they literally saw him coming..
I suggest to your friend he checks if he has planning permission (if needed) & if any of the extension has been inspected by building control, the original builder may have used a private company & not necessarily the council.
It will be much cheaper at this stage to get the necessary certification than just leave it & have to get retrospective permission years down the line.

He thinks he’s going to have a working 2nd shower/ wet room in a couple of days but in reality it’s a 3-4 day job just to dig the trench for the drain ..
That rings massive alarm bells if your saying they weren't put in as part of the build, drains will definitely need BC approval, even if he had/used permitted development rights.

I would be getting some kind of inspector/surveyor out to check over the place, just going by the brickwork there will be a lot of issues, might affect his house insurance if there are any problems?

That rings massive alarm bells if you’re saying they weren't put in as part of the build, drains will definitely need BC approval, even if he had/used permitted development rights.
Yes I agree , I’ll speak with him in a few days as this news won’t go down well especially if there are issues around permission etc . Thanks for the heads up ..

I would be getting some kind of inspector/surveyor out to check over the place, just going by the brickwork there will be a lot of issues, might affect his house insurance if there are any problems?
Again thanks for the info , I’m struggling to recall him saying anything about planning or any inspection so will discuss in a few days .

Latest posts

Back