Under stairs storage. Suggestions please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyhenson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been asked to make and install under stair storage units. My problem is the stairs is 1200mm deep and they want pull out units. They were thinking of having the units on wheels with the doors attached to the unit. My problem with this is that with 4 young children that a unit of that size on wheels would be dangerous when pushing it back in.
I would prefer to make it with the doors to open 180 degrees and the units pull out as the doors won't get damaged when closing, and possibly having it on wheels to take the weight and runners to guide them. The area under the rise will have pull out units divided into 3 units and the area under the landing will have 2 doors opening into a cloak room.
I have attached a drawing and a pic of a design they like and I would really appreciate and ideas/ suggestions that you have and any suppliers of reasonably priced 1200mm drawer runners.
Thanks
Jimmy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 297
I have a couple of similar project to consider this year

One is where the owner stores a lot of books and a bike

The other videos and CD’s kids toys.

These are my first thoughts

This one is panelled doors. The owner would like flush doors but I recommend panelled for me these are easier to make, cheaper and easier to transport in kit form.

Vis+Ants+Stairpic.jpg

The second is four mdf boxes on casters that pull out

storagejpg.jpg

I will be interested in how yours works out.

I don't think the pushing back in would be that dangerous it would be just like closing a door. What kind of floor would the wheels be running on?

It is a solid oak floor. It's the combined weight of everything being pushed back in I am afraid of, I am worried that fingers could get caught when the door meets the frame if the door is attached to the pull out unit.

Looked at your thread Roger Interesting, Liked the section on veneering the panels and your workshop. Some nice kit there.

Couldn't you devise a method - some sort of blocking, or brake - which would stop the displacement of the units some cms before full closure, i.e. before reaching the "danger zone", and wich would have to be actuated on purpose (foot, hand, whatever...) before the units could be fully closed? If this was possible to devise and build, it would aditionally reduce the speed at the final part of the displacement, as the movement would have to stop and then be resumed.
So, the sequence: close the unit up to the stop -> unblock the stop (which should not be "reacheable" until the unit gets there -> final displacement and closing.

A bit "chinese" perhaps, but I being more of a mechanical mind...

I would approach this by dividing up the spaces with some sheet material, pull out wheels (not swivelling casters) on the bottom of your pull out sections and guide rails like a wooden drawer slide to guide the pull out sections when they come out. Maybe stop the pull out parts 200mm short of the 1200mm. I haven't ever seen a drawer slide 1200mm long, I don't think a table extension slide would do it either.

There might be another way to deal with childrens hands - have the both sides of the "drawers", on the opening side, covered with a plywood sheet maybe 20cm deep. In this way, a child would not be able to grab it, just push the unit until it closed. Of course, this would require a rather close fit between adjoining drawers.

I am not sure how this thread is going. Is the trend to go for pull out drawers or folding doors?

I think it's too deep for drawers, I'm going to suggest doors that will open out with a pull out unit on wheels guided and stopped by a rail fixed to the floor. Thank for all your suggestions, if the job goes ahead I'll post pics of it.

I went with axminsters castors under birch ply units, the doors were poplar with a 12mm mdf panel. I put a pressure switch on the cloak room doors for the light. I applied 2 coats of undercoat as all the stairs are to be painted. I made up the radiator cover which is opposite the stairs and held it in place with French cleats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg