UKW competition discussion - please join in.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rileytoolworks

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking around on the net, I noticed a distinct shortage of furniture design/build competitions.
These used to be fairly commonplace, I seem to recall. Does anybody know of any currents competitions?

Adam.

We should have a box making competition again, come on mods get it sorted :wink: :D

Pete

there could be a good opportunity for a few yearly competitions- for example there are a few tool makers on the forum- both hobby and semi professional, and a lot of members making furniture throughout the course of a year.

Well a box would be easiest for most people, its not something that is limited by workshop size.

Pete

Just need to get the mods on board, I have posted in "The next moderator on-line"

Guess we should wait a little, but posting in this thread would help then gauge the amount of interest.

Pete

Well, if you can all decide on some person of good character..... to take charge and organize things (find a couple of honest folk to judge, decide on rules, dates, timber, size etc) I'm sure something can be arranged although would like to see a good number of entrants to make it worthwhile.

I'll have a word with the others and see what we can do.

Well all the moderators are of good character and we have some esteemed wood workers on the forum, David Charlesworth, Peter Sefton etc.
So it shouldn't be difficult.
Steve has offered a prize, not the one I wanted but a prize, although winning would be enough for me.

Pete

we could do with a suitable design brief- so that he with the finest ebony isnt nailed on to win, nor he best able to cover their joints with veneer! Also so that it isnt so restrictive that the end result is everybody having an item that is of no use to 95% of us.

But a design brief would be limiting, I think anything goes an long as its a box, i.e. has a lid/lids that can be opened allowing something to be put in.

box
Noun

A container with a flat base and sides, typically square or rectangular and having a lid.

Pete

What about a restriction on size? We could make this a one plank challenge, ie, the box is made from one piece of some agreed maximum dimensions.

Can the box have to be made using power tools? Or could it be that extra points would be awarded for hand cut joints?

Bob

What sort of projects and timescales are we talking about.
The turning section challenges are monthly.

Are we talking projects suitable for all comers regardless of skill, equipment and bank balance.
Are we talking of differing categories dependant on the above.
Is a month long enough for each envisioned project, or should I say is each project going to be assessed as being achievable in a month when selecting it.

In the turning section it has worked well with a single individual setting out the challenge list and working the threads, with mod support on stickying and locking etc.

I've provided a Roundup page support on my server for each month for the turners but this and anything similar would be better held on the UKW server if Charley will let a mod have access to a small folder.
Might I also suggest that at least any prime images are uploaded as attachments to UKW thread rather than relying on a hosting site so that they remain in the archives, Things can get very frustrating over time otherwise, See this example.

Hi, Chas

I would think a few months at least giving us weekend warriors a fighting chance, and our workshops time to warm up, also the time scale for a box is longer than a turning, no offence to the turners.
How about end of June or July?

Pete

Doing a search and trawling back through to the last comp, I recollect this perhaps won it?

34350ggd7-1.jpg

03454k4-1.jpg

...not mine, I hasten to add, but I wish it was.

Latest posts

Back