Tyzack Sons and Turner saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been sorting through my late father-in-law's belongings and have found a number 13 cast steel back tenon saw. It has a 'patina' of rust and the handle has a few woodworm flight holes.

Is this worth trying to clean up or should it be consigned to the bin? Is there any way of telling its age?

Here's a picture if that helps.

tyzack.JPG

Misterfish

If you want to chuck it out, I'll send you my address!

Seriously, pick it up by that rather fine handle and feel how comfortable and balanced it is. It's a proper handle, shaped for use. There is very little rust; what is there can easily be removed. I can't see the teeth in the picture but it can be sharpened and put to use whatever condition they are in.

That's a very nice handle, says quality. It needs a bit of restoration but nothing too drastic. How many TPI is it?

Thanks.

Right then - I'll have a 'play' and try cleaning it up. There are only a few beetle flight holes so I'll treat the handle.

The reason I asked about it was because it felt good and substantial and I thought it may have a bit of quality about it. I grabbed an offcut and was surprised that it cut pretty well.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes.

Misterfish

That should be a wonderful saw... I have a number of Tyzack saws and they're truly excellent*; on absolutely no account should you throw that saw away!

*and remained so to the bitter end, I have a plastic handled No.14 tenon saw from their last year of production, whilst not as nice as yours to look at, the handle is comfortable and well proportioned and the plate is of great quality... It gives many of the modern "premium" saw brands a run for their money, despite its looks.

DO NOT treat the flight holes. You have to hold that handle. You can plug them with a bit of wood. Keep the saw in dry conditions and the woodworm will be no more.

It's a beauty, enjoy it, please don't bin it. I will put my address in the ring with Andy's if you get sick of it ;-)

I'll have a gentle go at cleaning it up - I did find an article last night where someone had restored a similar saw and ended uo with a very impressive saw.

I hadn't thought about holding treated wood so will give that a miss. Its only a few flight holes and there is no sign of recent activity.

Misterfish

I would paint it with linseed oil all over, make sure the handle is tight, sharpen and set then just use it. No need for anything else.
If there is a kink in the blade it is possible to straighten them (basically pulling/pushing into the back) but I wouldn't attempt this until its been soaked in oil and perhaps used for a bit.

misterfish":bbcfe35u said:
I've been sorting through my late father-in-law's belongings and have found a number 13 cast steel back tenon saw. It has a 'patina' of rust and the handle has a few woodworm flight holes.

Is this worth trying to clean up or should it be consigned to the bin? Is there any way of telling its age?

Here's a picture if that helps.

tyzack.JPG

Misterfish

Elegant handle, so probably old (and therefore probably good). Rust on plate not too bad.

As long as the plate isn't kinked, I would certainly have a go at restoring it, especially given the family history.

BugBear

I bought a very similar saw off ebay for a couple of quid, cleaned the rust off with some scotchbrite and brasso then re-cut the teeth in the rip pattern, it's a good little saw, defiantly with spending some time on and learning how to sharpen and set.

I mentioned the saw yesterday to my wife who can remember her father using the saw over 50 years ago and she was sure it looked 'old' at the time.

I had a bit of a 'play' and 'evaluation' yesterday. As far as I can see the blade is nice and flat but the rust on the other side is worse! Despite this it seems to be fairly sharp so I'm going to have a go at cleaning it up to use.

Misterfish

misterfish":32c1qadz said:
I mentioned the saw yesterday to my wife who can remember her father using the saw over 50 years ago and she was sure it looked 'old' at the time.

I had a bit of a 'play' and 'evaluation' yesterday. As far as I can see the blade is nice and flat but the rust on the other side is worse! Despite this it seems to be fairly sharp so I'm going to have a go at cleaning it up to use.

Misterfish

Don't remove the handle unless you have to!

BugBear

If you have a bucket, some washing soda, and a battery charger, you can remove the rust from this saw overnight quite easily.
I would take the handle off, and while it was off I would polish the bolts.
I emphasise BATTERY CHARGER NOT the Mains!
Look up the method online - it's very simple and removes rust without removing any good metal.
This saw is well worth the effort, on cost alone - the modern equivalent would probably cost the best part of £100.
I clean handles up with paraffin and wire wool. It gets the dirt off without removing the patina. And then I give them a coat of teak oil.
That dries quicker than linseed oil, and bring out the grain.

Although electrolysis can be a useful method of rust removal, judging from the pictures it is not necessary to go to such extremes in this case. The handle has been in place for quite a long time already and is best left undisturbed.

If you just want to get the rust off (which I think is all you need) some fine wet and dry, used wet with WD40 or white spirit will be fine. If you want to get the blade shiny (which I think would look wrong on this saw) use a ball of aluminium foil and a few dabs of Autosol polish. Polishing the screws would not improve the performance and (in my opinion) would spoil the appearance. Why would any woodworker waste time polishing the screws on a saw?
Much of the appeal of this saw is that it is in such good condition although it is quite old; making it look shop-new takes that appeal away.

AndyT":33z0i3wl said:
If you just want to get the rust off (which I think is all you need) some fine wet and dry, used wet with WD40 or white spirit will be fine.

Agreed - I suggest 320 grit, plus or minus a grade.

BugBear

AndyT":3opieg6q said:
Much of the appeal of this saw is that it is in such good condition although it is quite old; making it look shop-new takes that appeal away.
Agree. The mark of good restoration/conservation is that you can't tell anything has been done - except where essential repairs make this unavoidable. In other words do as little as necessary, ideally nothing at all.

Back