Tyzack Bowsaw owners - a couple of questions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I know there are some people about who have a Tyzack bowsaw and really rate it. I've got a chance to buy one and wondered if I could ask a coupe of questions....

1. Is there a way to check what condition it is in; anything I need to look out for?

2. Can you tension the blade, or is it one setting only?

3. Is it on par with the modern Bahco Ergo saws, or better, or worsterer?

Many thanks

I have a couple - the patented type with light alloy handle that levers to tension the blade (no fine adjustment but the two holes each end of most blades is good enough) - I personally like them but they are heavier and the handle is cold on a freezing winter's log saw (I'm not usually a glove wearer).

they are more rigid and the handle gives good knuckle protection - they also look the biz in their green and dull ally - ideal for losing in the undergrowth, so maybe an orange stripe or summat would be sensible, but --

They're standard 24in and 36in sizes and mine have the older, wider sharpenable web (blade) which I like but also take standard disposable type with induction hardened tips.

and to answer your q -- they're pretty robust, but like any steel there could be rust issues and although mine have v good blade tension, I suppose they could have a distorted frame and need pulling out to the correct length (unlikely) -- and if you're after the old-type blade, watch out for pitting, which would make the teeth breakable when setting

ps there's also a 30in version

Back