two special chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided a day or two ago that I ought to find myself an avatar for this forum. I wanted something appropriate and so chose a special chair that I designed and built last year and which was partly the reason that I have become more interested in woodworking in the last few years.

I ended up designing 2 chairs for children with Cerebral Palsy for the project that I was working with in Cameroon. They aren't going to win any awards for their craftsmanship but that wasn't the objective. I wanted to make something relatively simple, out of locally available materials that local carpenters could produce and would suit the needs of the many children that the project that I started were identifying. Most of these kids have CP and are moderately to severely disabled, with no support given to them by the state and very often neglected due to cultural beliefs.

This is the prototype of the first model that we produced - (there is also a table slides on and off and can be adjusted so that it remains level and at the correct height)
ec3b4b8f.jpg

The second prototype was designed for older children and was solid enough for me to fit into (5'11" and 75kg) :roll:

This didn't have a table but was high enough that it could be used with a regular table. The finished chair was a little different in that the sides were cut away and the 'feet' were positioned further forward to enable a child to stand on the foot rest without tipping it over.

ec3b4bf2.jpg

If anyone is interested to know a bit more about the organisation where I worked you can click here: http://www.promhandicam.org. If you'd like to know more about the chairs let me know.

In closing, I hope that with knowledge acquired here I'll be able to participate more in the forum in the future. For someone like me who are a little bit 'cut off' in terms of geographical location, having access to such a large group of knowledgeable people via this forum is a big bonus.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve - the chairs look great and are obviously a very wothwhile project to do for the kids - Rob

Steve,
I echo Rob's comments and it looks like those chairs have been well received too.

Andy

What a worthy use of your skills. Well done.

Adam

Bloody good job Steve. I admire people like you. Well done.

Great idea with the chairs. I'm sure everyone on the forum will be more than happy to help in any way we can. Just like they do everyone.

Excellent job and for an excellent cause.

I admire your enthusiasm and hope that this forum will be helpful, they are a friendly bunch.

:lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Les

great work steve.

When I complete work for people, I like to see a happy reaction more than collecting the money.

I think however that these kids reactions and smiling faces beat any reaction Ive ever had.

Once again, great work....

Marky

Great work for great purpose

You are doing holly work Steve, and you will be paid for it one day.

Regards
niki

Thanks everyone for your best wishes, and you're right - it is good to see 'another satisfied customer'. :wink:
Many kids that I saw struggled with the chair to start with because they had spent their whole lives lying down and so to see the world from a different angle is often disconcerting for them initially. One of my colleagues, to whom I supplied a MkII, had found a child who was 17 years old and had spent his whole life in the same room on the same mattress. He was the size of a 6 year old. A smiling face is a bonus however, as the main reason for producing the chairs is for therapeutic reasons - they help in developing muscle control and reducing contractures.
Thanks again for your kind words - they are appreciated.

Steve

You have my admiration too, Steve.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks again to everyone for your supportive comments

Richard in Smithville":ud60b6ar said:
Steve, I'm sure you will be hearing from me in the near future. My nephew has severe CP and I will be picking your brain on design. Those are some great chairs and a great cause.

I'm sorry to hear about your nephew, Richard, and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Bon dimanche a tous !

Steve

Latest posts

Back