Thanks for having me!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
first of all, thanks for accepting my application to ukworkshop, and a big hello from Liverpool! About myself: I got into woodworking very late in life. After moving into a new flat, I wanted a new coffee table, but couldn't find the modern, minimalist design I was looking for in the shops. Then it occurred to me that the design I wanted was so simple that I might well be able to build one myself. I'd used a sander and a saw before, and by avoiding mitre joints (something which, fortunately, my design leant itself to), I managed to build a table which, had I seen in the shops, I would have purchased. I got the bug. I've since built a shed on my allotment, but I want to start making stuff on a more regular basis. I have a gift shop on Etsy, and I'd like to start producing things which I can sell on there. I joined this forum because, as someone with a very limited skill-set when it comes to woodworking (I'm actually a graphic designer by trade), I would like to pick everyone else's brains! Be prepared for an avalanche of questions, and a whole lot of gratitude, from myself!
Thanks,
Mick

Last edited:
Hi,
first of all, thanks for accepting my application to ukworkshop, and a big hello from Liverpool! About myself: I got into woodworking very late in life. After moving into a new flat, I wanted a new coffee table, but couldn't find the modern, minimalist design I was looking for in the shops. Then it occurred to me that the design I wanted was so simple that I might well be able to build one myself. I'd used a sander and a saw before, and by avoiding mitre joints (something which, fortunately, my design leant itself to), I managed to build a table which, had I seen in the shops, I would have purchased. I got the bug. I've since built a shed on my allotment, but I want to start making stuff on a more regular basis. I have a gift shop on Etsy, and I'd like to start producing things which I can sell on there. I joined this forum because, as someone with a very limited skill-set when it comes to woodworking (I'm actually a graphic designer by trade), I would like to pick everyone else's brains! Be prepared for an avalanche of questions, and a whole lot of gratitude, from myself!
Thanks,
Mick
Welcome and you will also need to prepare for several answers to anything you might ask . Some pics of your table won’t hurt either . We love pics so don’t be shy ,,👍👍

Welcome and you will also need to prepare for several answers to anything you might ask . Some pics of your table won’t hurt either . We love pics so don’t be shy ,,👍👍
Thanks for your reply, Bingy man. Here's my (very simple) table. You know, I spent ages looking for a piece of wood for the top of the table, thinking it I could get it in one piece. It wasn't that, during my search, I visited a workshop where they made pine furniture, and I was introduced to sash clamps. Before that visit, I honestly believed that table tops where fashioned from single pieces of wood taken from big fat trees!

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
I thought this too but I discovered it at as a young lad but I completely understand your thinking , i think your table is simple but you have made a good job of it , I also like simple lines and although I also like the more complicated methods of joinery i myself have not yet mastered these joints . Keep up the work and don’t be put off .. 👍👍

Back