Two more oak piece's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

two more oak bits today

7.5" wide x 6.5"tall with a 3/4" opening
P1050104.jpg

profile view
P1050097.jpg

I used to make allot of these forms a few years ago
8.5" tall x 5.5" wide with a 2"wide opening
P1050093.jpg

P1050091.jpg

Hi George, these are lovely, something I have not managed to get on to yet (hollow forms). I love the second one especially. I have no idea how hollow forms are made, as I've been mainly focussing on simple stuff to begin with, I presume there are many different tools you can use. How do you turn them? Is it with a gouge initially and then scrapers or is there a special tool used for this? Maybe an auger bit first then a gouge?

cheers
HM

Hi George.

I dont like choosing but if i had to it would be the first one.
I was recently given some oak when i have time i am going to rough out some hollow forms.I have never used Oak so it will be inreresting to see how i get on.

Regards George

Lovely pieces George, my preference is for the second one.

I know you did some WIP''s a while ago but have you ever done one on the set out and preparation etc of your hollow forms ?

Regards

Steve :)

Thank you

HW- there's many diffrent ways diffrent turners use to hollow things out, i use a mixture of the munroe tool and single prong tools similar to the ellsworth style.

Steve jones-I'm not sure what you would like to know, i think i've coverd most aspects of the orientation of the form within the log and faceplates and proportion in previous posts but if there's anything specific i can help with just ask on here or drop me a pm

Thanks for that George, before I start asking I'll go back through your previous posts so as not to cover old ground.

Regards

Steve :)

George

They are both very nice.

I love the first one but the trim on the second one for my liking is too large and keeps drawing my eye up to it and away from the form as a whole.

Just my preference.

Absolutely love them George, you seem to have a real knack for hollow forms! Must say I prefer the overall shape of the second form, but not much in it whatsoever!

Dan

Back