Twitter anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have joined to be able to follow some people and then found that I can't really get into checking their updates! :? I can't believe that there's anyone out there who would be bothered to follow me and anyway what am I going to talk about? Clients; so unprofessional, family; not really interesting to anyone other than family, my deep and meaningful insights into the world; too infrequent to be measured, re-tweets of other peoples stuff; so boring!

Having said that the nasa astronauts one is good for the fairly frequent views from the Space Station which is cool and I liked Jake's updates from F1 (the reason I bothered joining)...

Miles

To be honest so far I only follow NASA, Chris Moyles, Alan Sugar and UKWorkshop.

Work have spoken about introducing it to keep salesmen up to date on new stock arrivals, etc. without the need for calling for composing e-mails to them all, it's a nice idea but I have no idea if it'll take off.

yeh I'm a twit. You can find me @thewoodhaven

Oh No!!!!

Another spoiler. :shock:

We've only just got rid of one Stig.

I guess the BBC will be firing you as well. :wink:

Yep, I'm on there as well (@OllyPJ) although, I don't use it much...

Jamie - don't forget to add a link to your website/blog. ;-) My blog does seem to get a few hits from my Twitter feed.

wizer":3na14rl9 said:
Titus A Duxass":3na14rl9 said:
No not me - too inane.

I'm interested, what is it you find inane about twitter?

The whole concept - I can see no entertainment value, or any other value, in following so-called celebrities around and reading their inane prattle.

But I am a strange person - don't ask me for my opinions about soaps, big brother, I'm a cele.... ad nauseum.

And yes you're correct - I never seen Star Wars.

RogerS":14qblb9g said:
wizer":14qblb9g said:
Titus A Duxass":14qblb9g said:
No not me - too inane.

I'm interested, what is it you find inane about twitter?

Typical tweets

"I'm having a sandwich"

"It's raining here"

"Stephen Fry is a fairy"

Need I say any more? :wink:

or:

"Not me. Too Inane"

I think what you find inane is the people you've read about who use Twitter. Whilst I do follow some people who I find inspirational, I use it for networking. Learning what's going on in my chosen genre and telling my followers about what's going on with my site. I don't think it's fair to label twitter inane and especially not it's 190 million active users. There must be something in it?

Also I don't get the connection to Soaps, Big Brother and other white trash TV programmes? I completely agree with you about those. I stopped watching TV a couple of years ago. There's nothing on there that interests me. It pretty much enrages me. But what's that got to do with Twitter?

I would rather spend 30mins browsing the day's tweets from people I respected and have chosen to follow than spend 30mins reading a newspaper on subject that just depress me or have no relation to my personal interests.

The_Stig":32i57nuo said:
I've just joined the dreaded Twitter and was wondering if anyone else was using it too?

No - Its gay,

Everyone knows the real action is on IRC. #turning

OK - that was a joke,

I do feel however that twitter is a new phenomenon that will fade eventually to be replaced with something else. To be honest its just newsgroups with a different front end. ( yes i still use newsgroups with thunderbird )

We surely are almost at saturation point of all the methods of being an attention Peach ?? - well until our RFID implants start to shout ala tom cruise in the shopping mall in Minority report. )

I hardly used Twitter, in fact my posts are still private. I've probably made less than a hundred tweets, to friends only, in more than a year.

Gowalla, however, is much more fun. A sort of interactive Treasure Hunt / Social network type of thing.

Just wondering if those who dislike Twitter on the grounds of it being inane/mindless celeb gossip ridden have actually given it a go or are they judging it based on preconceptions derived from other sources? If you find you're being bombarded with mindless ramblings then you may well be following the wrong people.

I've only been using it for a few months but I think it's fascinating. Getting updates from NASA about current/forthcoming missions including hours-old pictures from Hubble; breaking news feeds from the BBC/sky news/ CNN; Behind the scenes pics and news from 'Mythbusters' Grant Imahara and Adam Savage; Barack Obama tweeting on life as the President as well as the day to day life of actors, comedians and noteables who I respect and admire.

I think you need to have your mindset geared towards social networking and how to make it work alongside your daily news diet and social life. If you find it easy moving through social networks online then obviously it will be a much more natural experience.

Just my thoughts. :ho2

Back