TV Question again !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Jones":1a617qxa said:
Thanks for the info Alan & Mark, I've actually emailed best buy direct to ask when it's open.

Steve

well when you go in ask to have a demonstration in their audio and visual rooms. they caused me no end of grief, note the doors to them 5 grands worth of doors and a crappy rail system which i really didn't want to fit!!!

Mark

kdl-40ex403

site link

this was were i got my dad to get his panny 37 plus 250gb hdd freeview dvd player recorder AND a tosh upscaler dvd player. delivered and 5yr warranty.

was 300quid cheaper than John Lewis (and anywhere else) and they didn;t have the upscaler dvd... think they wanted 1200 and we got it for 875 ish...

normally cheaper than most places.

what viewing do you do (sky virgin freeview SD or HD varieties?) cos in the shops most of the tv's look good when pumping out BD. the real test is the other 80%+ of the watching you will do which won't be Full HD and will more likely be SD or upscaled SD... and as posted before thats when some of the LCD screens are let down.[/url]

Yo Chuci,

The '403' was our original choice but after going back to view it today and seeing the '503', it's the 503 we're most probably going to go for. Our main viewing at the moment is freeview SD and also dvd's etc, we only have Virgin basic TV which is almost the same as we watch on freeview.

I've received an email back from best buy regarding the Merry Hill opening, they should be open within the next 6 weeks. I'll most probably hang on till then especially as Mark says they will have demo rooms etc.

Once again thanks for all the replies

Steve :)

demo rooms.... remember that they are set up by pro's with calibrated screens and prefect lighting so can make it look better than when you get it home.
they are good tho for you to take in a few of you favorite dvd's and play bits of them on to get an idea. eg it may be showing Avatar on BD and the colours look amazing but how will it look when you put on Saving Private Ryan or The Matrix for example.
i would take in a few you watch and skip to bits that you know how it looks for you eyes now...
eg monsters inc to see how it handles Sully's Fur
The Fifth Element when they have the opera singer on stage infront of the earth.
The Matrix for some of the dark slow mo stuff.
Saving private ryan beach scene fast paced camera changes and natural colours.
something old that has been put on dvd but the film quality was never great to start with.

Also Digital Direct have the 503 listed. you just need to mail for the price.

This is only slightly relevant to this thread but you know I like to ramble on :roll:

I used to work for Sanyo when they made quite decent tellys.
Dixons own brand was called Matsui ( I think they thought a jap sounding name inferred quality).
Our European telly factory was in lowestoft & the production line would make one version of telly at a time. The line had a y split near the end where the telly ended up badged & rating labelled & boxed.
One branch was Sanyo ( pricey in the shops) & the other branch was Matsui (cheap as chips).

The moral (if there is one!) Brands are a question of market perception (often).

Back