Time to replace the TV/AV systems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love a bigger Plasma than my current 50" samsung but unfortunately they aren't manufactured anymore.
The only thing that comes close and surpasses Plasma is OLED but I am looking to go to 65" or more and the price is still prohibitive.
Even Quantum dot isn't a patch on Plasma but it's much better than standard LCD.

Gerry

The price of a large OLED (65") is comparable to the price we paid IIRC when we bought our Sony plasma (32") over 20 years ago. Amortised over this timeframe, the plasma has been fantastic value. The trouble with OLEDs are that their long-term longevity is still very much up in the air. Only time will tell (no pun intended) and so it's almost a question of faith. One manufacturer increases the size of the blue OLED, I believe, as the longevity of that one is the one of most concern.

It's a hard call.....maybe I put the money in a piggy-bank, ring-fenced, not-to-be-opened until ....keep our plasma and fudge around with existing kit and see how OLEDs develop. Trouble is 32" is a bit small. I do take Jake's point re the 'naturalness' of the plasma display. watching the screen on show at John Lewis yesterday, I was wondering how liveable they would be and if that vibrancy could be toned down just a tad.

RogerS":ap7lt4ft said:
..... Trouble is 32" is a bit small. I....
I think 32" is about right for the average living room. I suppose it depends on how far away you sit and how much tele you watch. Don't like those huge wall mounted screens, they so dominate a room, better not say what they are colloquially called around here. :)

RogerP":1iitiwwz said:
RogerS":1iitiwwz said:
..... Trouble is 32" is a bit small. I....
I think 32" is about right for the average living room. I suppose it depends on how far away you sit and how much tele you watch. Don't like those huge wall mounted screens, they so dominate a room, better not say what they are colloquially called around here. :)

Partly why I was wondering about the ability to reduce the visible displayed area. You could 'turn it down' for watching normal TV and then when you wanted to watch a DVD...open it up.

Indeed. IMHO, it is neither the resolution or dynamic range of the TV that is the limiting factor in my enjoyment. Slightly more impact are the annoying artfacts of the high compression used to squeeze the data down the limited bandwidth connection. But predominantly it is the quality of programming. When Channel 4 started, some wondered if there was enough material for 4 TV channels. Then C5 came and removed all doubt. A flick through Freeview channels gives the impression that more time is given over to adverts than programmes !

Thankfully our 42" Pioneer Kuro plasma is still going strong.
Sadly Pioneer no longer make TVs.
Hopefully when the time comes to replace it OLEDs will be a more reasonable price.
The Pioneer has excellent stereo speakers, so much so that I got rid of my Denon 5.1/Mission system that hardly ever got used.

Rod

RogerS":1lu8gfgz said:
watching the screen on show at John Lewis yesterday, I was wondering how liveable they would be and if that vibrancy could be toned down just a tad.

Most TV's of the last decade have a showroom mode which, far from being realistic or natural, is as bright and saturated as they can make it.

It makes choosing picture quality on what you see in a shop/showroom impossible. :-(

So you have no choice but to trust reviewers, or compare (probably old) TV models that friends have, that you deem to be properly adjusted.

BugBear

I am no expert but have some (hopefully) useful experience to pass on. I work occasionally for a guy who does shop-fitting on a sub-contract basis. In the last three months I have installed around 40 of the almost latest - I say this because today we saw one one the very latest - Samsung UHDTV - Quantum Dot - displays in 65" format (other sizes available from 55" to 78") called the KS9000. When we first installed these stand-alone display units the TV itself was over £3.5k. Now they are about £2k. The equivalent LG unit OLED same size was nearly £4k. (Today).

Anyway I have therefore spent more time than is healthy in various stores nationwide of a large retailer installing these blinking things. I am amazed at the quality of the pictures - seen really up-close - compared to my "old" Sony Bravia LCD 42" telly" which is still working perfectly and cost me ITRO £3k ten or twelve years ago.

It is true that the content we use to display these units is 4k and comes from a computer within the plinth we set the units on, BUT you just want to see how clear and crisp the pictures are, and how good the colours.

Combined with the latest 4k blu-ray player (which plays existing DVD content and upscales it somewhat), a matching soundbar/subwoofer, (from Samsung, as said above, to make matching and compatability easier) and a good tv feed from a satellite dish or cable I would say they would give a near cinematic experience, both in picture and sound.

If and when my Sony LCD dies I know which way I'm heading. I am NOT employed by Samsung or the large retailer whose name I failed to mention anyway!

HTH, even if just a little bit,

Andrew

Latest posts

Back