What would be your ideal TV/PVR/sound system?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
artie":2y15jedc said:
RogerS":2y15jedc said:
Yes it makes perfect sense. I'd forgotten that Humax made just a Freeview box without the PVR.

Mine has the PVR as well just in case I want to record two programmes at the same time.

Now you've got me intrigued. So presumably you set up the Humax to use one tuner to record its programme schedule and then effectively watch live TV on the second tuner on the Humax and the SCART output feeds the Aux input on your TiVo? Does it not get confused having two IR controllers talking to it?

God, there would be divorce proceedings if we did that here and I cocked up the feed to SWMBO's TiVo by accidentally changing the Humax channel to record something undesirable !!

I acquired a second Humax thinking I could press it into service sometimes when there was a clash and I wanted a backup recording but found that the two Humax's both respond to the same codes. Tried covering up one window while controlling the second but it wasn't 100 reliable.
And then a quick Google shows that it is possible....doh!!

(but not the 9300T like mine :x )

My pragmatic, rather than ideal, system is PC based. Until a few weeks ago I was using Windows 7 Media Centre, I've been using Media centre since the XP version, 10 years or more. I've just changed to Win 10 and I'm now using Kodi.tv (was XBMC) as a front-end with mediaportal acting as the back-end recording server. Kodi and mediaportal are also both available for different flavours of Linux, you can even run Kodi on a Raspberry Pi. Recording servers and front-end can be on different machines, so you can stick a PC in one room and Ethernet to your living room for a micro-PC to do the viewing bit.

With 2 dual channel DTV cards I can record at least 4 channels* simultaneously, while watching my choice of BluRay, DVD, recorded TV or streamed internet TV. I may upgrade to a single 4 channel HD tuner card soon, but I'm not convinced that our HD signal is good enough to make it worth the effort (or my eyes for that matter...). With a silent graphics card and near silent PC the whole setup is very versatile and simply uses HDMI to pipe the video to the TV via an A/V receiver.

*If the channels are in the same multiplex bundle it's supposedly possible to record more than one channel on a single tuner, I've not had the need/inclination to try.

RogerS":2nds0lnd said:
Now you've got me intrigued.

If push comes to shove I can , in theory, because I have never done it, record two programs on the Humax and one on the Tivo while watching a fourth live on the TV which isn't coming through either.

What keeps it simple is, it's all freeview.

I do have a seperate Tivo hooked up to a sat dish for Sky, but I switched it off years ago as I couldn't keep up. Not enough spare time.

SWMBO has her own dedicated Tivo set up which I never touch unless there are problems.

Back