Turntable Plinth build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matted

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All...

this is literally my 1st project since school (20 years ago!).

iv built a simple router table which went pretty well. A little hick up or two but it works!!!

file.php

And now my project begins.

Basically my aim is to rebuild a plinth for a Rega turntable as mine is currently in a bad way. I will also be upgrading a few elements here and there and hopefully make for a better quality product in the process.

And here is my 1st peace....
file.php

This was cut roughly with a jigsaw, trimmed down with a plane, and finally trimmed true using the router table with a trim cut bit.

Apart from some very fine tearout the quality of the cut is stunning, im really happy with how that went.

From here I need to cut a cavity on the underside for the motor housing, and a few channels for the power leads/on off buttons (another job for the router). I then plan to bond a 2nd sheet of ply to the underside to hide the channels for the leads, and make the plinth more solid and substantial in the process (this should also aid sound quality).

From there is drilling holes and attaching feet.

I think all the above should be pretty simple.

From there its onto finishing...

Im thinking I would quite like to keep the exposed ply on the edges. And I like the idea of a clean white or black laminate for the very top. But this is less of a concern at the moment.

Anyway....Given this is my 1st project I would love to hear any thoughts, comments or tips! because quite frankly I could do with all the help!

cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2761.JPG
    IMG_2761.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,696
  • IMG_2769.JPG
    IMG_2769.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 1,696
Hi Matted and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you've got a plan and you're well on the way the achieving it. You also sound like you're the sort of chap who gets on with things and handles problems as they arise. That's the right way to do it, just keep going. Why not keep posting the pics as you go and this can grow into a work in progress. Forum members can then contribute comments as you progress and if you do encounter specific challenges, the team will doubtless chime in and help you.

But never forget the forum motto....if there aren't pictures....it didn't happen :)

would it not have been better to trim the sides with the router after you had glued the second piece on or is the second bit going to be smaller

flying haggis":3vgwf2ca said:
would it not have been better to trim the sides with the router after you had glued the second piece on or is the second bit going to be smaller

I wondered this - my thinking was if the 2nd layer is over sized a little I can glue it and use the router with a trim bit to trim it to the original profile?

Of-course if that's a bad idea let me know. I can either start again (wouldn't take too long, I have stacks of ply) or....I can always glue them and trim 1-2mm around and trim both layers up at the same time (a few mm here or there wont matter too much)

Random Orbital Bob":3vgwf2ca said:
Hi Matted and welcome to the forum.)

cheers mate :)

if you have a deep enough bit I think it would be better to trim both bits, after they have been glued together, at the same time.

as HOJ says keep the pics coming,

PS I have a rega so I am interested

HOJ":ewl4el7m said:
make for a better quality product

Keep the updates coming, this could be interesting, new business potential!!

Paul, just down the road.

cheers Paul,

There are a few people out there who sell custom plinths. Its hard to say if there's any real money in it though. But....The overall design of the plinth is super simple and well, If I can do it (and it looks like I probably can) it would be no effort for someone who knows what they are doing :)

I think the real benefit comes from making a thicker plinth (helps lower vibrations from the motor) and obliviously the quality of the finish. But there's also a market out there for people who like to custom build from scratch, and buy all the components and put it together themselves, so offering custom plinths with different finishes makes a lot of sense.

Where about are you based anyway?

flying haggis":ewl4el7m said:
if you have a deep enough bit I think it would be better to trim both bits, after they have been glued together, at the same time.

as HOJ says keep the pics coming,

PS I have a rega so I am interested

cheers! that's decided then. If my bit is long enough Ill redo this and trim both peaces as one.

I hope to make a little bit more head way this weekend. Im liking the idea currently of keeping the ply edge, but using a glossy laminate for the top only. :)

Where about are you based anyway?

hi Matted

i am in sunny(between the showers) Happisburgh

I think you can get ply with a coloured melamine face. probably expensive though

Back