Turning tools needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddywack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a tiny Axminster lathe that I bought for turning door knobs and other small bits, I have a mixed set of Crown turning tools that have been unused for at least 15 years so I am sure there are a host of newer models out there.
What would be better suited for my use remembering that I only want or need to do very small stuff, I would be willing to swap mine for others but I don't know the names of the ones I have. I know one thing is certain no matter how much I take to turning I can't fit a bigger lathe in my workshop so no point in keeping my tools till that happens.
Advice gratefully received.

Hi

Post a photo of your tools and we should be able to identify them.

Full sized tools are all you need unless you are turning very small / miniature items. For door knobs a 3/8" bowl gouge, a parting tool and possibly a round nosed scraper, (until you get proficient with the bowl gouge), will be enough.

Regards Mick

Just looked on Axminster site and they are Henry Taylor tools were once a full set but a couple missing now, will get some photos over the weekend and post ASAP.

I am puzzled, are the Henry taylor tools too large ? Because you won't get much better in terms of quality, given that is, that they are High Speed Steel.

Just wondering why you want shot of them.

Hi,
I should have been clearer, I only want to turn Door knobs and small scale stuff and feel the tools I have are too big,maybe it's my inexperience but I am sure there are tools better suited to my needs.
It's not that I want shot of them it's just if I am not going to use them they may as well get used elsewhere, as I mentioned before there is no way I can get a bigger lathe as I have managed to fill my workspace with more than what I need, I started out many years ago with a Coronet Major and part of the set up was it had a lathe so that is how I came to have the Tools.

Hi

Which tool set are they? which ones are missing?

For what its worth - I have the full range of Sorby miniature turning tools - they VERY rarely get used as I find standard tooling more than suffices in all but the smallest most intricate situations.

Also miniature tools are harder to control, (due to their shorter length, smaller diameter handles), not the best things to learn with.

Regards Mick

Sorry about the delay with the photos, I have tried but it says the file is too big. It's a normal photo so I don't know why it won't do it.

Hi

There's a guide to posting pictures at the top of the woodturning section - have a read of that and see how you get on.

Regards Mick

Hi Spindle,
On holiday now until Xmas so I tried to do it from my iPad so maybe that was the problem so will do it on the Desk Top when I get home.
Ps. I followed the instructions but still couldn't do it.

Back