Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny.t.":1o42w2lz said:
These are becoming a bit of a habbit for you Chas :lol:
Orders is Orders :lol:

Still a bit of a fiddle johnny, could do half a dozen bowls in the time it takes to do a couple of these, definitely a batch job item to save setup & tool changing time.

______
________Trying a few alternate construction methods to speed up assembly time.____Click on images for larger view.
______
________ __

______Yew
______The brass collar speeds up the alignment process when gluing up but metal is a pain at buffing time as it contaminates the finish/mops and will eventually dull.

mikec":1db79kmw said:
Hope you won't mind if I make one for SWMBO.

No problems Mike, hope you pick the right coloured bit of wood for starters :lol:

______
________Cherry.____Click on images for larger view.
______
________ __ __

______
______'Screw Spikes' help disrupt wick when candle gets near wood and assist stability.

______
________A little something in Black for Madame.__________Click on images for larger view.
______
________ __
______
_______________Ebonised Yew.

I am getting seriously worried about you Chas. I've been offline for a week and you are getting more rustic by the day. Those are really nice (what else could I say?) I especially like the idea of the candle holder. I presume the screws are deheaded and threaded and glued in place?

Pete

Bodrighy":1ph6mo0o said:
..... I presume the screws are deheaded and threaded and glued in place?......
Just deadhead and epoxy the shank Pete, moving to rustic with some of the home cured stuff rather than loads of shavings on the bonfire and now that I have a Buffing system developing, putting a finish on 'character' items is a lot easier.

CHJ":v7i9dv0t said:
Bodrighy":v7i9dv0t said:
..... I presume the screws are deheaded and threaded and glued in place?......
Just deadhead and epoxy the shank Pete, moving to rustic with some of the home cured stuff rather than loads of shavings on the bonfire and now that I have a Buffing system developing, putting a finish on 'character' items is a lot easier.

Whatever the reason it's nice to see you doing things differently and with your usual excellent quality. Does this mean I have to start turning normal things as well? :lol:

Pete

Those look really effective Chas,great idea with the spike too :D
Il ike the ebonised Yew,too.Nice contrast :D
Did you use the ebonising lacquer to do it :?:

Paul.J":1kwiyjre said:
...Did you use the ebonising lacquer to do it :?:
Yes Paul Chestnuts Spray, left 48+ hours to harden before lightly burnishing with cream.

Good looking stuff. Your finish is out standing, that yew looks so smooth.

I like the candle holder.
This an irrelevent comment because you wont see the screw, but I would have rather used one of those old style floor board nails / the rectangular ones

stunning chas just stunning, i think i say this everytime you post something, but as i am stunned by your stuff, its all i can think of saying.. :lol:

richburrow":1brfbvxv said:
......I like the candle holder.
This an irrelevent comment because you wont see the screw, but I would have rather used one of those old style floor board nails / the rectangular ones

Not the prettiest solution I agree Rich, but the average user would have difficulty mounting the candle, even plain spikes have been known to split them.

______
________One down a dozen or so to do.__________Click on image for larger view.
______
________
_______________Bubinga & Beech.

smDSCN0914.jpg

This is an awesome piece .. I love it ! 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D

All are your usual high standard Chas, but that one in particular really butters my parsnips.. its terrific. :D 8) 8) [/img]

Back